DED in southern Oregon

Here's what's ironic about this stuff .It was first discovered in Europe in 1910 . It hit England in 1927 and the US in 1928 .The stuff came to these shores via a load of veneer logs from the Netherlands destined for of all places ,Ohio .:(

Then ironically a more aggressive strain got shipped back to England in 1967 via a shipment of logs from North America .Kind like a case of the clap that just gets passed around .

When it came through this area in the 60's and 70's there were some huge fat old trees .It was not uncommon to see a 4 footer . After it killed most of them seldom would a tree get to 12 inches .It seems though that some may reach 20 inches on occasion now days . Perhaps those have mutated to be more immune to this stuff . Maybe ,just maybe ,given enough time they might come back .

It is not first time DED has hit us.
Pollenanalyses from bogs show that around here almost all the elms died out around 3000 bc.
Supposedly because of an epidemic of DED like the one we have now.

As for some trees being resistant, dutch gardeners have bred a resistant strain, they claim.
Around the area where I live, all the elms are long gone, but for a few.
In the village next to me, there is one big tree, which showed the signs of being affected about 10 years ago, but nothing more has happened, it is still green and fine in summer.

It is not first time DED has hit us.
Pollenanalyses from bogs show that around here almost all the elms died out around 3000 bc.
Supposedly because of an epidemic of DED like the one we have now.
That brings up an interesting point . Just perhaps these epidemics of plant life are cyclic ? Plants do mutate from time to time . For example in some of the Egyptian tombs they found I believe a variety of tomato that had not been seen in eons .

Probably not tomato. That is a new world plant only, brought back to Europe like the potato and tobacco.

Oh it could have been a rutabaga for all I know . I'll have to google it I suppose .However I'm sure you know that some variety of tomato grows in every continent other than Antarctica

They once thought that tobacco was only an Americas thing until they found traces of it in ancient Egyptian mummies . That made them scratch their heads .:lol:

Dutch Elm Disease...wow, guess i gotta go raid willies neighborhood when it becomes an epidemic,
or at least bring it down here...oh wait we dont have too many elms, darn it
anyone want some bark beetles?

I just got into my first case of Port Orford Cedar Disease in Arcata the other day it was going downhill thru the neighborhood, following the drainage pattern it looked like
Guess i better start reading up on the DED

Here's what's ironic about this stuff .It was first discovered in Europe in 1910 . It hit England in 1927 and the US in 1928 .The stuff came to these shores via a load of veneer logs from the Netherlands destined for of all places ,Ohio .:(

Then ironically a more aggressive strain got shipped back to England in 1967 via a shipment of logs from North America .Kind like a case of the clap that just gets passed around .

When it came through this area in the 60's and 70's there were some huge fat old trees .It was not uncommon to see a 4 footer . After it killed most of them seldom would a tree get to 12 inches .It seems though that some may reach 20 inches on occasion now days . Perhaps those have mutated to be more immune to this stuff . Maybe ,just maybe ,given enough time they might come back .

In the presence of Shigo, while discussing Elms and DED he believed/predicted that elms would mutate to reproduce at a much earlier age and remain around as much smaller trees

Could be .They still reproduce,how I have not a clue . I've got bunchs of little fence post sized pecker poles ,40-50 feet high but darned few of any size . Every few years I slice up the dead ones for firewood . Let me tell you it takes a lot of little 6 inch trees to make a cord but they burn fairly well .

In Mpls area there stilll are a lot of DED sanitation programs, You have to debark the wood to store it. the beetles live under the bark. Burning is no problem, actully a very good firewood if you can split it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
one way:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HTnNnqcO0bE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HTnNnqcO0bE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

another:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/m3LM-sg1Oy8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/m3LM-sg1Oy8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No, sadly enough I am not far enough north to see them, only once in my life have I seen them down here and it wasnt colorful, just sheets of grey. Still wicked though. :)

I do however have to take the boxes of Christmas decorations downstairs to the storage locker in the parkade, back soon!

Paul,
You are far enough north. Maybe too much street lights.

I am south of Lake Ontario and have seen them many times. About 10 years ago shortly after dark the entire east horizon was blood red. Don't know why it was in the east, but aurora borrealis was what it was.

Back