Screw locking 'biners

• Thread starter cutitup
  • Start date
  • Replies 33
  • Views 6K
C

cutitup

I recently aquired a gaggle of screw locking carabiners. I was wondering with all the safety nazi's out there if anyone still uses them and if so for what applications? i.e. climbing or rigging only?
Funny I remember using the 'ol steel non-locking ones in the early 80's spie rigging out of helos and rock climbing and no one thought twice.:roll:
Thanks, Tom

aluminum or steel?

I've climbed on screwlocks before and the world didn't end, nor did I go plummeting to my death in a fiery crash. I don't use screwlocks for climbing any more, but I use steel screwlocks for all my rigging.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, Skewl. they are alum. and I know 'exactly' from where they come from and how they've been used. IOW I can trust them. I was looking in a catolg the other day and noticed they now make QUAD locking 'biners! Next will be a combination one with a built in altimeter:what:

As with everything in life, we must judge the risks of our actions and then decide if the benefits outweigh the risks. You could climb for years on screwlocks and never have an accident (rock climbers do it). But if you forget to lock it in the wrong situation and something happens, it's all on you. And if you ever get stopped by an OSHA inspector then you can expect some major fines.

On a side note, I've never seen an OSHA inspector in my life. But a friend of mine got nailed last month for using his lift without a fall arrest harness. $5000 fine for that one. And as bad as we all are struggling right now, it may bankrupt him. :(

I use screwlocking biners, like when attaching my safety to my saddle. Skwerl, are you saying that the screw type, if aluminum, are reason for concern, or...?

Thanks.

I'm saying that they are not OSHA approved. Legally the only carabiners you're allowed to use for tree climbing are triple locking carabiners. :roll:

I'm saying that they are not OSHA approved. Legally the only carabiners you're allowed to use for tree climbing are triple locking carabiners. :roll:

OSHA can't touch you, Butch, Stumper, me, ect.

The lot of us can swing about wildly on your single man bucket and he can't do jack.

I was under the impression that it is usually its the largest of operations that garner OSHA oversight .... but as long as someone is paying they are free to inspect ANYONE working .... P.S. ... I am almost completely compliant though I often skip eyewear , use only non- lockers for rope snaps , and manual lockers on carabiners .... I imagine these infractions wouldn't be too costly anyways ....

I broke a tooth last week when I forgot to dodge a steel screw lock. I use it on the spliced end of my rope because it throws nice. I used to have a steel triple lock but a Brit stole it from me.
The screw lock biner has come unscrewed once but it never opened. I'd rather have a triple locking Hard D but too many things are on the list ahead of it.

the cost of the hardware doesn't bother me at all , it's just my preferances for old school rope snaps on my safeties ... and have been irritated one too many times when an aouto locker closed when I was trying to set something up ...

the cost of the hardware doesn't bother me at all , it's just my preferances for old school rope snaps on my safeties ... and have been irritated one too many times when an aouto locker closed when I was trying to set something up ...

Same here, biners for tie-ins and re-directs, snaps for lanyards. I just lik'em better.

I'll prolly use'em mostly for rigging. It's not really a biggie I have enough triple lockers and I'm not trying to 'go rouge' with OSHA. I just hate to let good gear lay simpy becaue it's not the latest and greatest. However, if ya'all really feel they are indeed unsafe that's another story. That's why I'm here - real climbers, real opinions.

In my mind, safety is a state of mind. There are plenty of people out there capable of severely injuring themselves no matter how many rules you place upon them as far as what they can or cannot do. Many times you can just watch a guy start up a saw and make one cut and it will tell you if he's liable to hurt himself. All the triple locking carabiners and chain brakes and safety gear in the world won't prevent a Darwin candidate from offing himsalf.

Then there are guys who are naturally in tune with everything going on in their workspace. They know what's going to happen 3-4-5 steps ahead and every move is fluid and in anticipation of what might happen next. For guys like these, it probably doesn't matter if they use screwlock or triple lock carabiners.

My opinion is not OSHA approved, nor should it be taken as an endorsement of non-OSHA approved methods or equipment. Just how I see things, is all.
8)

I broke a tooth last week when I forgot to dodge a steel screw lock. I use it on the spliced end of my rope because it throws nice. .

Spidered my front tooth last year doing same thing.

FWIW, I only use the thread lock on Rigging, if I use them.

rigging here........way to much movement on screw gates in tree climbing to bee sure. But hell in a pinch I would ride em'

Blinky, What thieving brit stole your shit?:/:

rigging here........way to much movement on screw gates in tree climbing to bee sure. But hell in a pinch I would ride em'

Blinky, What thieving brit stole your shit?:/:

It was Skillin, technically he's Welsh I suppose. He didn't really steal it, I lost it working on one of his jobs. It sucked though cuz I bought that biner new for $5 at TCIA last year. I'll never see another deal like that again.

Thanks, guy's. It seems that you've confirmed what I was thinking. That is try to stick with the triple lockers but the world aint gonna end if I ride a screw lock if need be. Happy new year!!

Legality has nothing to do with it Brian. ANSI standards are giudelines. Companies can adopt them as policy, but they are not labor safety laws.

Back