ASH stumpage / E.A.B. invasion ...

Altissimus

TreeHouser
I own a small woodlot , the best (most valuable) trees are a grove of Ash , no giants but sawlogs nonetheless .... I've read that this pest will eventually come here and destroy this grove ... should I log ahead of the invasion ?

I'm not so sure it's worthless .Of course around here they don't pay a whole lot for logs ,about firewood prices or less .

The odd thing though is while you can't transport firewood nothing is said about logs .Seems strange to me .:?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I consider Ash the "MIRACLE" survivors wood ... splits easy , burns green ... I'm using some right now !

It makes nice lumber as well as baseball bats. I knew a neighbor that sold "bolts" i think he called them for baseball bats. He didn't get much more than firewood price for them and that was many years ago.

Cut all the ash. And then cut all the hemlock because wooly adlegid is coming if not already. Don't forget all of the maple because Asian long horn beetles are just a state away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah , gotta be careful with the grass planting (could be an INVASIVE!).... I got a buddy on ski patrol who has some background in forestry as well as a straight job with the state dept. of forests and parks .... he says the concern over E.A.B. is MUCH greater than A.L.H.B. and W.D. put together !!!

With our history of losing the chesnut and elm due to imported causes one would think we would have been more on guard.

The story I hear now is that any packing-crating imported wood must be kiln dried. How enforceable that is? Another cost of NAFTA.

We had a brief period where anything from the orient had to be on metal pallets, no wood accepted at all. Along with each shipping can having to be fumigated upon arrival, lots of fun for importers.

I deal with shipping dunnage quite a bit coming from Germany . It seems that every piece of lumber has some sort of an inspection mark on it .The same with stuff from England . I suppose but don't really know if this lumber has been treated with some thing or not .

About twenty years ago I was installing a complete engine line for Honda and the majority of the machinery came from Japan .It was encased in huge plywood containers using a marine grade mahogany plywood ,beautiful stuff .

The plywood plus all the rest of the lumber all had a sort of inspection mark on them . All that lumber was ground up in a huge tub grinder and burned for bio-fuel as is all the stuff today coming from Europe .

Some things coming to that Honda plant were shipped on metal palates which were crushed and remelted for auto parts .They left that site as brake drums or cylinder liners in an engine .

I think the Ash market is still way down. Last year I got close to 75 free Ash sawlogs from a friend. The logger felled and bucked them, then walked away. It wasn't worth his time skid 'em out and haul to a mill.....

Ed

I own a small woodlot , the best (most valuable) trees are a grove of Ash , no giants but sawlogs nonetheless .... I've read that this pest will eventually come here and destroy this grove ... should I log ahead of the invasion ?
Since the EAB only destroys the cambium (not the wood itself) & signs of invasion are pretty easy to spot, I can't see the point in harvesting ahead of time. There's a pesticide that's very effective >>> emimectin something-something... but if harvesting the lumber is your ultimate goal, investing in pesticides probably won't be worth it ?

I suppose the thing will just have to run it's course .What ever is left may or may not repopulate .Time will tell .

I suppose at one time there were likely large ash trees in this area .Usually about a two footer is as large as is found any more . There must have been a run on baseball bats or something .:)

I've got one big one in my woods .Almost 3 feet by 100 more or less .

A couple of years ago I tripped one for a friend of mine of about the same size .The thing was straight and had several thousand feet of lumber in it but he sliced it for firewood instead .Too bad but it was his to with as he pleased .

Our county has been a quarantined county for 3 years now after a couple of infestation sites were found, one of which is about 10 miles from me. Big, big to-do about it ....mainly with the $ making aspect of it. We made all kind of preparations on my Urban Forestry Board and since it has been pretty quiet. I do some injections, but really everybody has gone fairly quiet about it.

Couple of days a client called me over and we looked at suspicious material.
I sent picts. to a lead researcher at Ohio State I have email contact with and he said it very likely could be the "bug from Hell" (my words).

Attachments

• DSC01178.JPG
    DSC01178.JPG
    809.4 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC01179.JPG
    DSC01179.JPG
    833.2 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC01180.JPG
    DSC01180.JPG
    829.5 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC01181.JPG
    DSC01181.JPG
    792 KB · Views: 10
Treevet, could you please stop re-embedding your pictures after you've uploaded them? Thanks. :)

Once they upload into the browse window, am I done? Are they then in the post? I will get it straightened out.

Back