splicing 2 ends together???

PCTREE

Treehouser
OK so I need to make a continuous loop of rope out of a double braid such as stable braid and the rope needs to be consistant diameter.

Any Tips????

Consistent is a PITA to accomplish.

Samson lists the instructions for an end to end class 1 double braid splice.

Yeah but for starters we need to know what rope you are even gonna try this on.
Double braid comes in several flavors.
Ive seen it done and i doubted if it was a full strenght splice

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Lumberjack.

Blaster no not a sling. I have been testing my ascender all day today by having it lift 200lbs and I have a set up where I run a 300' rope through a pulley in the shop and down to a portawrap. I control the rope speed with one hand and the ascender speed with other. Gets to be a pita having to switch ends every 300'.I logged over 6000' of ascent and had 2 bolts vibe lose (I knew I needed to locktight them). So what I want to do is have a rope loop so it can run nonstop tank after tank after tank so hopefully I can find any issues such as losening bolts etc. Better in the shop than 100' up:):):)

Hey Darkstar, you posted as I was writing. I just ordered 45' of 1/2' Nystron from "the rope guy" on ebay for $20. I like nystron, easy to splice and strong.
In this application it doesnt need to be strong as it will only ever "see" 3-400lbs force but I like to test with similar stuff that I use.

I'll 2nd nystron, according to the chart almost the same as Stable Braid, purchased it from ebay guy too.

Glad your working on the ascend er, I'm excited.

So you are the other SOB whos been buying up MY nystron:X

Gotta love that stuff eh, I got a 180' hank of 1/2" with 10,000+ MBS for like $70.

I use 7/16 for my climbing line.

Your best bet is a double braid like the nystron. There is a way to splice it that has only negligible change in rope diameter. The end to end directions from Samson involve major bulbification.

I have the smooth directons at home somewhere. I will dig them up for you. Worth mentioning: the directions I have involve a 20% strength loss. That shouldn't matter here. Also- the directions are very "rope specific". Meaning- the eact construction of the rope will dictate where you make your cuts. You might have to try it 3 or 4 tries before you nail the measurements down.

Love
Nick

Brendon thanks for the link, if I can get them to make one considerably longer that will work well.

Lumberjack, I feel like Ive learnt enough this year from "the school of hard knocks" so Im down with someone else doing it for me;)

Nick that would be cool if you could drag those instructions out as in my experiance I cannt get anybody to do anything for me :cry:

Okay- a little bit of bad news. The directions I have for it are in a Brion Toss book. I don't like to post info from books since it's somebody's work.

I've sent an email to Toss to see if he minds if I post it.

In the mean time, there is another option. Send me the rope and I'll splice it. Since this is, in many ways, a "treehouse" project, I'll splice it for free (you have to pay shipping, though).

I'll let you know when I hear back from brion.

love
nick

Nick that sounds like a great idea maybe Ill just have the nystron shipped straight to you (can you pm me your address). Im cool with paying you for this service OR you could get to try the Wraptor out first??? I got the adjustable gearing figured out and now it picks me up at 117' per min;)

Once I have done all of my testing on these I will be ready to let people use them so I can get feedback:D

The rope came today...I should be able to get to it this weekend. Not this week, though...but come the weekend I'll be doing a BUNCH of splicing, including this big loop.

love
nick

Thanks Nick, guess untill then I just gotta keep switching ends every 300 feet. Dont worry you wont be first, first, thats always my privelege with my inventions. Actually at this point about 20 people have used it, mostly my friends. No Bivy is my next victim......

Back