skiing the bunny slopes

rbtree

Climbing Up
10 days ago, the slopes were bare.....then it snowed...and snowed....super light fluff, rare for the PNW....

and the next storm is rolling in this afternoon..but will bring big winds with it.

I skiied Stevens Pass Thursday, which was super deep (4 feet of 4-5% moisture content snow) but with little terrain open, and nothing steep, there was little fun to be had.

Yesterday, at Crystal Mt, by contrast, was EPIC.....2.5-3.5 feet of blower even lighter powder, and few people, so I was able to ski slightly cut up or untracked knee to hip deep fluff everywhere I went.. No action pics, no one wanted to stop, and it was danged cold, 0-10 degrees.

3122910722_8c801ba0b5_o.jpg

Some of the gnar...
3122084565_4a216b9b8d_o.jpg

High Campbell lift, which serves up nothing but double diamond expert terrain
3122084701_1bcf13a085_o.jpg

Avalanche Basin, part of the South Back Country, which requires ridge hiking and climbing for 10-30 minutes to access incredible goods.
3122084649_3232949309_o.jpg

my tracks on the left
3122910744_9b3b3f9f47_o.jpg

I would have stayed up and skied today, but I'm bushed...two bad knees, and a sore butt from taking out a rock with it :roll: .....and the big windstorm is coming.

Beautiful views there Roger. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Nice view for sure .

I won't be sking .Some how the idea of strapping a waxed board to my feet and firing down hill at 80 MPH only guided by little poles doesn't appeal to me .Too old ,not in the right place I guess .;)

Great stuff Roger, enjoy the irregular cold / precip pattern that we are getting. :D

Very pretty. I wish I would have tried skiing at least once in my younger days. Right now it seems I can't even keep my balance in the shower, let alone on ski's...on the snow!:(

God. That looks amazing. I've known nothing but east coast crushed ice.

...any of you guys want some free help? You just find me a ride out there.... and give me the weekends off, so I can play on that stuff. ...dang. Gnar is most correct!

With all the snow fall recently, it was only proper to go tobagoning!

This is a pic of my youngest (Lt) and her friend at the local "Togabon Hill", taken a few hours ago!

And of course the traditional stop at Tim Hortons for "hot chocolat" afterwards! :coffee2::thumbupold:

HC

Attachments

• IMG_0633.JPG
    IMG_0633.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 5
My dad, brother, and I used to go skiing most Sunday's when I was a younger teenager. I had alot of fun, never got good enough to go on the 'advanced' hills though....only 'intermediate'.

My last skiis were a pair of 'Head" downhills....BRIGHT red, with the newer (at the time) step in bindings.

We went up to Lutsen for a short holiday, I remember sleeping in a split level motel room right on Lake Superior and waking to strange grinding/crunching noise of the ice chunks slamming together. We ate at the Naniboujou dining room:

dininghall3.jpg

My last time skiing was with some girlfriends. We had just put on our skis and were walking/skiing across the almost flat but icy bunny slope on the way to the lifts ....I slipped and fell hard on my side. I let my friends go on and waited for them in the warming house. I didn't say anything til I got home. Took off my Ski pants and there on my hip/upper thigh was a lump about the size of half of a large cantaloupe....so dark a purple it was almost black.

Nope, never skied again. Still have the skis though in my parent's basement.

GREAT pictures, Roger. Really nice.

I miss skiing. I lost all my gear and a lot of childhood to two garage fires.. There will be a day I get it all replaced I swear...
My fondest times skiing was always teaching my GFs to ski.. I had the patience of a saint:/::roll: Then once I got them tired out... I would go up top and race back down to where they had something hot for me to drink at the lodge :D
Night skiing was always wonderful...
I got up in a thunderstorm once too.. that was pretty amazing.
Powder at Alta Utah... The girls at Sundance Utah .... Gawd those days were great :D
I hope I can teach the boys here soon :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Winds hit 62, but the high wind watch was cancellled. Not much in the way of power outages. So, maybe I'll go skiing tomorrow. It's snowed 3 more inches at my house, and took longer to start in the mts.....but if there's a foot or more there by morning, i'm in....Winds up there don't look too bad.

Nice view for sure .

I won't be sking .Some how the idea of strapping a waxed board to my feet and firing down hill at 80 MPH only guided by little poles doesn't appeal to me .Too old ,not in the right place I guess .;)

Me neither Al, but I envy Roger, he is something else!

Back