Pruning or Removal?

• Thread starter top hopper
  • Start date
  • Replies 66
  • Views 6K

Regarding climbing, which do you prefer?

• Total voters
T

top hopper

When it comes to climbing a tree for either pruning or removal which do you prefer to do? And if you could have your choice of doing one or the other, day in and out, which would you prefer.

Me? While I find pruning to be very gratifying, I think in general removals are easier to do (usually) and less taxing on my aging body. Plus Im rather good at it. However I work with climbers who I know prefer doing pruning, for whatever the reason. I think they may lack the removal experience, which isnt necessarily a bad thing, but they obviously excel at pruning.
We are fortunate enough to have a good mix of work, and our scheduler will usually give us our preferred jobs.

Which do you prefer and why?

I prefer removals because it is easier and I make more money. If a branch is in the way, cut it. Can't do that with pruning. I seldom do removals....85% of my work is pruning. Don't know of any tree service in Hawaii that does more than 25% removals out of all their total tree work. We don't remove as many trees here like they do on the mainland US. Probably because we don't have the bad weather that kills or damages trees.

More money is in killing, especially in this economy. Nobody has the money to spend on "trims."

I like either one equally.

Removals are more profitable for me and I get to run my big saws :D
But I also love trees and enjoy taking care of them. I enjoy pruning the healthy ones and slaughtering the rotten ones.
8)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ok- I should have clarified. Not which one makes you more money.
But what does your body and you ability prefer, regardless of money.

Despite the economy, we have tons of pruning on the books to do. And I cant really say one pays better than the other. My crew can bring in anywhere from 2500-5000 in a day doing removals. A pruning crew can bring in the same amount relatively if you consider the reduced amount of hauling and equipment needed.

Tree dependent -
If the moneys right and I dont feel rushed I like pruning.
Something about a sharp chain on a 200 and minimal rigging that gets me worked up on a removal - just bombing stuff all over is great fun. Cutting fast and furious to avoid rigging in certain situations.
Now that I do office work alot I LOVE the rare removal where I am just payed to put it on the ground and walk off.

From a selfish perspective I prefer removals; more exciting and there's less 'skill' involved and I LOVE challenging rigging situations.

But I definitely feel more satisfied at the end of the day of finishing a really nice pruning job. I don't see how anyone could say there's more money in removals? One job and you cash in; with pruning you keep coming back.

jp:D

Pruning young trees and felling big 'uns.
Actually, I generally prefer pruning...but some of those gnarly open centered junk tree prunes beat me up.

Hard call... I am more a removal guy. Love to get up there and figure out how to make it all come down with out breaking something. I am really only starting in the last couple years to get pruning jobs and trying to learn fast. Mostly because of mistletoe removal. And now that has led to pruning. And I have a lot to learn! I don't sell it, but they ask me to do it kinda thing. Now as far as satisfaction... I also like to look back at a tree I have removed the mistletoe out of and did some dead wooding on, and say hey that looks pretty dang good. :D
I like how my climbing has improved because of the mistletoe work. For now TDs but I am a bit mixed on my preference as I learn more..

From a selfish perspective I prefer removals; more exciting and there's less 'skill' involved and I LOVE challenging rigging situations.

But I definitely feel more satisfied at the end of the day of finishing a really nice pruning job. I don't see how anyone could say there's more money in removals? One job and you cash in; with pruning you keep coming back.

jp:D

I disagree about less skill being needed. I think removals require more skill while pruning may require more education. (If you can see a difference between the 2)

Much of pruning can be taught, whereas much of removal work has to be learned from your self. Aside from the easy ones, I think removals require ALOT more skill than pruning. If someone knows how to make a good collar cut and CAN climb, they can prune. Thats not the case with removals. You have to be able to "see" things and not everyone has that ability

I think they both have their challenges. I know I feel different muscle work from pruning and different from TD. I have also had to build up stamina for each. I know I have learned different things in each regard in my climbing technique.
I also agree there is a different way of thinking with each one, maybe more academic in pruning, maybe more visionary in TD. Not sure. I know I use GUT feeling more in a TD than a prune.
More skill in either regard?? I would argue different and overlapping skills in a symphonic mesh... Does that make any sense?:D

Yes very much so. You said it better than I could. But you pretty much nailed what I was getting at.

I by the way way am not insinuating that one skill is better than the other, or a climber who prefers one vs another is any better than any other climber. Ive just always been aware of my preference and wondered if others had too?

While I can prune with the best of them, I really have to work hard to keep up with the "pruners", whereas with removals, they just come easy for me. And vice versa.

Did not take it like that Top... I just have a hard time having a preference as I am really just learning in this business. Used to be I would just be out in a field, make a decent face cut, drop the sucka where I wanted it safely, and get on with business. Then that lead to trees progressively getting closer to structures, to branches over structures, to ........ Natural progression. So I am pretty new to all the above ground stuff. I just learn, do it, learn more, do it, and on ward.

As I have yet to develop any "skillz' I prefer removals!!! Easier to move around, because I don't care what I take out, and my cuts don't have to be purdy!!!
I try and learn something new each time, and hope to become better by working removals.

The two different processes require different sets of skills, for sure. I think you need to be a much better climber to prune properly (no gaffs, gotta get to all the tips). You need more rigging and physics skills, along with better chainsaw skills to do removals.

I'm half competent at both, although my lack of climbing in the last couple years has seriously impeded my ability to do either while on rope. :whine:

I actually think that removals wear me down more. Pruning can be very physical but it the kind of thing that gets you into shape rather than just breaking you down. Removing large trees takes a toll on me and doesn't pay very well in my market. Pruning is better for my business as it gets me repeat work and referrals. Personally I like variety. Based on hours and effort, I think that pruning shrubs pays the best around here while large removals and prunes don't pay what they are worth. I can whip out two hedge trimmer jobs and make the same as I do standing on my spurs all day. I know that all markets are not the same though.

If I had to pick just one thing, I would pruning japanese maples. I find it very therapeutic.

i like removals, easier on me physically unless im roping 3'wood. the big saw and hip/knee strain is killer

i like removals, easier on me physically unless im roping 3'wood. the big saw and hip/knee strain is killer

Yes that is where I do have issues with removals up here.... Get into a large ponderosa or bull pine and have to wield the larger saw and lower. Rob straightened me out on it though. If you get tired, get down and do more tomorrow. Now granted I have that luxury. So I really changed my way of looking at removals in case I tire on the spikes. Repell down... do some clean up or clock out and come back tomorrow. Pays the same :D
Did I also thank you guys for helping me with that mentality when I started seeing how some of you seasoned pros took more than a day to bring one or two down? Thanks BTW :D

Huh? My rule is, whatever you cant finish by lunchtime doesnt really matter cuz the rest is getting flopped.

Yeah, I need to refine that rule. Its gotten me in trouble once or twice. :lol:

Back