Best small handgun.

darkstar

Rockclimber/ treeclimber
Wife keep telling me she wants to carry something smaller than her glock.
Baby glock is still to big she said.
I was thinking about the new LCP's.
Open to any suggestions.

Baby Glock too big? Heck then, she'll need to look at one of the many sub-compacts out there, but she'll probably have to move down into a .380 Auto or single stack 9mm to get a gun smaller than a G26.

Is she wanting a revolver or semi-auto?

Which Glock? As mentioned before, the G36 has the single stack magazine so the grip is much thinner than most other Glocks. only 6+1 capacity but it throws a big ol .45 slug so you only gotta hit your target once to get it's attention.

edit: That Kel-Tec looks sweet!

How much thinner is the 36 than the 26? I know I can look it up, but in a real-world, in you hand, how much difference is there?

Curious is all...I've got a 26, and want to buy a 36

The difference isn't that great.

Keltec sucks, Kahr isn't bad.

I'd go with an Airlight or SC J frame sized wheel gun.

I held/ shot a gun for the first time yesterday, so you'll get no good advise from me. ...not that you were askin anyway...:P

You're wife packs heat!

Man are you guys like Gummer's or what?? :lol:

Tremors_06MO.jpg
Burtontruck.jpg

Walther PPK in .380

I carried a PPK/S for years...slim, reliable (after I had it throated), has an external safety (which is peace of mind for a lot of folks). It is a good carry gun...though the round is at the bottom of the list of desirable ones for self-defense.

But...you are more likely to have it with you since it is easier to carry than some of the larger handguns.

The Ruger LCP is essentially a copy of the Keltec P3AT. Both had some problems with the first runs of the little pistols but my experience with the P3AT is 100% reliability

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No word on the new LCP from ruger huh.

She just wont carry a glock 9 by 19.
I need to find something else good asap.

The Ruger LCP is essentially a copy of the Keltec P3AT. Both had some problems with the first runs of the little pistols but my experience with the P3AT is 100% reliability
Cool i need to shoot one.
My wife can deffinatly place the bullet in the correct spot :O

I have no love love for the .380acp. It's not that effective, or reliable. The .32acp beats it almost every time, .32's seem a bit tiny though, but she might like it?
Berreta makes a .22lr in the size of a .380 I alwas thought was neat, but thats me.

Andy , I'm not sure how you arrive at the conclusion that the .32 beats the .380....but if you love the .32, Keltec makes one a wee bit tinier than the P3AT.

Jerry, Because the P3AT is very lightweight and short barrelled the .380 bucks and roars substancially from it----but control isn't really a problem. The trigger is heavy-esentially a DAO except the slide must cycle to bring the hmmer to a "halfcocked"/precocked condition but mine shoots to the sights (VERY low profile) and I can keep a paper cup bouncing at 7-15 yards.

Wel Justin, it seems I am wrong, sorry!! I was thinking about back when I had one. Apperanty bulet technology has vastly improved for the round. Good to hear!
It's a neat, versatile size,and the guns are a handy size as well. But MOST need throat work to feed hollow points consistantly.
That and they have a "snappy" recoil, it's easily tamed, but can scare the uninitiated.
Sorry about the misinformation!

The "throat" of the barrel, or feed ramp, has to be smoothed out so the rounds come out of the magazine and feed into the bore smoothly.
90% of these guns are made to feed "ball" ammo, like the original Colt .45acp's, and wont reliably feed hollow points.

I know it may have not been mentioned, but check out the Bersa Thunder in .380. They are decent little shooters. I can also vouch for the P3AT.It does get a little uncomfortable after firing more than say 100 rounds, mostly due to it's size.

... or you can have a wife, like my friend John's. She loves her S&W 500 Mag for home defense purposes. :lol:

I now want one. :(

I personally would not like to get shot even by a pellet gun. A woman here got killed after being shot with a pellet gun in the chest. The pellet entered her heart. She did drive away and died about an hour later. I would think a .22LR would put a big hurt on someone. 3 or 4 in the mid-section plus another 2 in the head should do it. I don't carry a gun, but my choice would probably be a 9mm.

If you are looking to stop someone dead in their tracks, nothing (within reason) beats a 12 gauge with buck shot.

I have a wide selection including a P3AT.

I still say a J frame (I prefer Scandium) SW, or a Khar 9mm.

If I had a purse, I'd look hard at a snubby 327, (which I have ;)) 8 rounds of 357mag (or 38) and a full size grip in a lite weight, accurate package.

Yeah. im looking at revolvers.
They seem to fit this bill,.

DSC05341.jpg

Top left is the P3AT, under it is the G26 with a +0 extention.

Then you have the J frames (5 shot 357's), 327 (8 shot 357), and the bottom is a "Lady Smith," (5 shot 38SPC).

The Keltec is thinner than the revolvers. The 327's full size grip makes shooting full house loads no big deal. The J frames (and 327) are Scandium, about 14oz loaded.

Back