Another way to get rid of trees...

sawcollector

TreeHouser
MB, if this is the wrong place for this or off topic move it or delete it, but I thought this was interesting and wanted to share. Have you seen this thing?
It is a Le Tourneau G175 Tree Crusher, and the website is here:
http://www.mackenziechamber.bc.ca/tree_crusher.htm
Interesting history behind it and why and how it was used.
Seems like a waste of timber to me.

Attachments

• treecrusher.jpg
    treecrusher.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 236
Gnarly device! Can't help but think that no American Indian was involved in the development or operation.

Yah the TREE CRUSHER!!!

Le tourneau loaders are what all the mills around here use. Unload an entire logging truck at once.

Attachments

• loader.gif
    loader.gif
    31.3 KB · Views: 231
Le Tourneau has built some of the most massive equipment of this sort and for quarry work ,excavating etc .in the world .All seem to use the electric drive which the company is famous for .

The story of the brains behind all this company is very interesting .He got the idea for a self propelled pan scrapper while running a massive old gasoline powered Cat pulling a pull pan and was frustrated he couldn't go any faster .An idea was formed and a legion was born . H G Le Tourneau from equipment operator to inventer .

I like how its all camoed out in that first pic... for stealthy tree crushing.

The scale is hard to see in the pix. But that second one has a guy standing on it.
That thing must be HUGE!
What a great thing to go see on a road trip.

With the greenery on it, it looks a bit like the machu picchu ruins that were discovered in the jungle. Leave that thing in the woods for a few hundred years, and when future mankind discovers it, they will be asking, "What kind of people used machines like this?"

They used to take great big giant chain ,about like an anchor chain on a carrier and use it between two big dozers to mow down that stuff in south America .

Two Cat D9's or TC 12 Euclids and 300 foot of chain .Knocked trees down like they were weeds . I imagine the practice is no longer being done .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Le Tourneau has built some of the most massive equipment of this sort and for quarry work ,excavating etc .in the world .All seem to use the electric drive which the company is famous for .

The story of the brains behind all this company is very interesting .He got the idea for a self propelled pan scrapper while running a massive old gasoline powered Cat pulling a pull pan and was frustrated he couldn't go any faster .An idea was formed and a legion was born . H G Le Tourneau from equipment operator to inventer .

Al I have head all kinds of stories about him and the company. I read a book once that indicated some of his equipment was used in the Pacific islands during WWII, but maybe I am wrong on the dates.
I think I will do some book searching and see if there is a bio or company history on Le Tourneau.
Glad y'all liked the story!
Eddie

Twin 700 horsepower diesels, yes.
That means the thing has less engine power than a good old ( well, not so old!) M1 Abrams.
Whats so amazing by that?

They used to take great big giant chain ,about like an anchor chain on a carrier and use it between two big dozers to mow down that stuff in south America .

Two Cat D9's or TC 12 Euclids and 300 foot of chain .Knocked trees down like they were weeds . I imagine the practice is no longer being done .

That is known as siamese cats! They still run those in Brazil , to clear jungle for soybean grovers, so american beef farmers can get cheap protein feed for their feedlots.

Danish hogfarmers too, I should add................

"Scrub crushing" Really is a blast,when I worked in a Yarder crew we sometimes but rarely used two Dozers to level any remaining brush at the completion of a unit.We would join two Dozers to a length of Butt rigging by their winch ropes and flatten the remaining little trees and scrub.

Glad y'all liked the story!Eddie

Thanks for posting about it, Eddie! We like just about anything that cuts, devours, munches, lifts, explodes, runs silent and runs deep (for Al), etc., particularly if it throws out noxious gases when doing it....as long as nobody gets hurt.

Check out the link, it'd be a bit of a roadtrip for you Frans. Twin 700hp diesels.

Those rollers gotta be over 6 feet in diameter. I really like checking out massive machinery. Brings out the kid in me.

Those rollers gotta be over 6 feet in diameter. I really like checking out massive machinery. Brings out the kid in me.

me to frans, im thoroughly fasinated by huge engines and equipment. even if my dodge is capable of the the horsepower of one of those big 12cylinder engines. i seen old boats from the 30s with 2000 gallon air tanks that were used as engine starters!
57928561.ME5J7588_cor_cspL3zeroHI_res.jpg

H1711large.jpg

That means the thing has less engine power than a good old ( well, not so old!) M1 Abrams.
Well one difference is the fact the Abrams uses a Lycoming turbine that goes though fuel at an astounding rate . I think that thing is 1500 HP more or less .The turbine and tranny are not much larger than a large refridgerater . BTW ,that's another place I have worked .It's about 10 miles from me .;)

That turbine could never take the abuse those big diesels can nor will it last nearly as long .Then again it wasn't designed for that type of service .

Twin 700 horsepower diesels, yes.

I never said it was amazing, just another tidbit of info for people who didn't bother following the link. We're tree men here, not army dudes I could give a crap about some big ass tank.

This bush obliterator is cool imo.

I never said it was amazing, just another tidbit of info for people who didn't bother following the link. We're tree men here, not army dudes I could give a crap about some big ass tank.

This bush obliterator is cool imo.

Commie!

Back