Wire

jamie

Wud Kutta
anyone know any good information on splicing wire rope? and good stuff to make a flip line out of. I'm thinking of a wire rope spliced at both ends and covered in some 16 strand. never done wire before, so my plan is to make a few and load them heavily to see how they fare.

Jamie

Wire rope or cable is just like stranded rope /line . Get a big marlin spike ,a wooden mallet and thick leather gloves . It will cut you to ribbons ,watch it .

The most simple eye splice with wire rope is done by unwrapping three of the strands, a dozen times, and then bend the two parts over to form an eye and rewrap them.

A demonstration would be better, I know. We called it a "moly hogan" or "farmer john" splice. The more wraps the stronger it is. It's just a field splice. Not 100%

The strongest wire rope splice is accomplished by tucking. A bit more technical in description. Not enough grey matter at hand to describe it.

I've spliced cable before. Spliced a few eyes in the skyline and I've spliced mainline back together before. I always had instructions with me though, and a marlin spike and a dealio for hammering into a stump to help hold the wire. I remember it being a severe pita but I don't ever remember one coming apart.

Moly's are a thing of beauty.

The most I've ever done were just a few eyes in 5/8" cable .--and yes I did look like I got in a fight with a wildcat .

Jaggers used to be a major part of my life. That's something I don't miss about the bush for sure.

Back