Humming 460

brendonv

Tree Hugger
Recently I have noticed a "hollow drone" sound coming out of the sprocket area of my 460 associated with the chain spinning. Is the clutch/drum/sprocket going bad?

It's been the go to saw for over 2 yrs now.

What does the sprocket look like? If you've never changed it then you need to. It's a wear item. There is also a bearing that the clutch drum spins on, replace that as well. Both parts together should be less than $10 and take about 3 minutes to change.

I watch my sprockets for wear, usually change them every 4-5 chains. The clutch drum bearing about every year or two.

A funkey bearing will cause the drum to run off center ,ringa ding type of noise .Eventually this could cause the clutch to round off the drum ,ruin the clutch shoes and just cause all kinds of grief ,all because of a 5 dollar bearing .

Fact is ,as I type there is an 039 in my shed that experianced the same thing I just typed in this thread .

Yes. Here's a new sprocket and a worn sprocket. Actually the worn one isn't that bad, I'm just anal about changing them out. :|:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It looks somewhat like your worn one. I'll grab a new one of those, and I'll get a bearing too while I'm at it.

Thanks.

Do it ,cheap insurance .

I was putting a new sprocket on a 084 that gets up in the r's and noticed while checking bearing that there was a crack in the cage on the outer. It was all the way through to where you could let the bearings fall out if opened. Cheap insurance to check and replace for sure.
There was no sounds or anything to tell me something was wrong. I was just being anal one day as Rocky says.

I've had the cages come apart on old saws,actually they are all old .Whatever kept the needles intact is anybodies guess but there they were ,still working . Dig through the piles of junk and find a better one .

Also check the inside of the drum for excess wear from the clutch. That's not what's making the sound, but while you have everything off it takes no time to pop it off and inspect.

I've found in the distant past that if you let a drive sprocket get to worn it'll fork up your drivers and cause the chain to kink. A cheap wear spot that's easy to replace so I stay on it now.

I have seen the drums and clutch shoes actually rounded from running eccentric from a worn out bushing/bearing . This could very easily break a crankshaft and certainly would cause undue stresses on the crank bearing which would knock out a seal in time at the very least .

The bearings are cheap but for some reason often get over looked .

On some Huskys, there is a hole on the end of the crankshaft that exits under the bearing. Shooting a little grease down the hole lubes the bearing. It seems that Stihl won't grant Husky the distinction by copying the good little idea.

Is your oiler working after it started this humming noise?

Back