The Fishpole Technique

MasterBlaster

Administrator Emeritus
This is how I use it on something that might bust up when loaded.

How about ya'll?

Attachments

• fishpole.jpg
    fishpole.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 266
Looks like it should work... Just as long as you have room to a roof or something to keep it from not working.... I like it actually. Makes sense to at least keep some segments from being lost to gravity vs rot to the load. Nice Boss. I will have to try it :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It primarily has more to do with spreading out the shock load, so to speak. If you're lucky, a lot of times it WILL hold the limb together when it busts apart.

Looks smart boss. Mostly when I think fishpole I'm thinking about setting a pull line through a crotch and tying it off on the trunk near the base-----different subject that your post. I do the captured segment thing occassionally too.

Looks like it would work. Might have to think of a new name for it as this is what the fishing pole technique is from the art and science of practical rigging book. Perhaps a contest?

Attachments

• Pook 002.jpg
    Pook 002.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 259
Sounds good I always picture the Arbormaster guys when I hear the fishing pole technique.

But I agree thats the only way to rig something that is questionably rotted. Especially with a high value target. I have used it a few times. NEver had a chance to test if it would hold a piece that breaks

SO in the rigging book it is with pulleys not half hitches. I would think the half hitches would simplify it and the technique would still carry the same name but as pulleyless...

I think Butch's deal looks a lot more practical and useful than putting a bunch of pulley's along a limb.

I agree Steve... I mean why set up all the pulleys when half hitches should do the job of holding each segment and take the load to each segment... Simplify semper fi is what I always say to Rob. My agreement statement when he finds a more simple way to uncomplicate what I complicate .. LOL

I've used this set up a few times a in the past and recently on some of our E.A.B. infested ash trees so when the limbs break apart during rigging, they don't go to far.

A bit of a pita IMO but it does work!

HC

Well a piece of dead limb breaking through roof would be a PITA more so I would think.. besides... I get paid hourly for the rope work..... so if it saves some damage.. You bet!

MB's technique and the text book "fishing pole technique" are WAY different.

This is yet another example of why I carry a couple loop runners on speedline carabiners. On that limb I would use the loop runners instead of half hitches or pulleys, then just clip them onto the lowering line. It doesn't keep the limb together so much, but it would catch the big pieces and keep them clipped to the lowering line.

Or, if you were piecing the limb down, they would replace the pulleys (but much faster and easier to set and retrieve).

I would try to possibly speed the process up by taking Butches technique and omitting the half hitches and incorporating loop runners. Possibly hitching the biners on each loop runner for binding, but probably not needing to unless there is a limiting space/height issue to a target.

Back