manual oilers

Che

Treehouser
I thought I'd ask here instead of REALLY derailing Gary's victory thread.....

I have a cheap electric chainsaw.....I've never used it, but thinking about how light it is, I was thinking maybe I should try it just for firewood up here by the house. It has a manual oiler....I haven't a clue how you'd use one. Any hints?

Need to be delicate with those small electric saws. If it starts to heat up, give it a rest, and make sure the chain is sharp. They can burn up pretty quick in hard wood.

Some of those electrics are pretty sturdy .In my dads garage is one that belonged to my granddad .I should go get that thing .It really doesn't do bad at all .It might have been made late 60's 70 's .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
How often, though? How do you know....like every cut? I can't imagine this thing cutting much.....if I remember correctly I don't think the bar is even 16".

'Remington' comes to mind....?

Most of the electrics I've seen have a horribly chintzy oiling system. It's basically a squeeze bottle and the filler cap is also your 'thumb button'. By pressing the cap it squeezes the bottle, pushing oil out on to the chain. Intended for very limited use only.

I thought I'd ask here instead of REALLY derailing Gary's victory thread.....

I have a cheap electric chainsaw.....I've never used it,I haven't a clue how you'd use one. Any hints?

find the nearest trash dumpster and throw away! :lol: go to local saw shop and buy a REAL chainsaw.

Even though all the newer saws have auto oilers... I, like the others here, would like them to have a manual oiler as well...

Just give it a push with your thumb every once in a while in the cut Che.

Garty

I think they should give ya both on the saw.. Auto with manuel back up.. I can't tell you how many times I have replaced oilers and oilers cleaned.... yada yada

The last pro saw I know of that had a pumper in addition to an auto oiler is the 084 Stihl .My 2100 hard starting Huskie has one but I don't know if they are the same vintage or not .

You can handle this one, I think...

Oil is applied for lubrication and cooling. I doubt you will take too much.. Automatic oilers like on your other saw has constant flo when operating.

If you start it and give it a couple pushes then stop, out with cord and investigate how much oil is on there. I think most need fairly slow pushes, and once if it is less than 8 inches, more if needed.

Always very sharp chain and no sitting on it...

These need a gentile hand.

just be sure you use one tank of oil to one tank of electricity, basic rule of thumb:/:

I don't even know if they make a sturdy electric saw any more ,maybe Stihl does ,can't really say .

They have their places .They are not timber fallers but do a pretty good job on occasional stuff .Besides that they start easily .

Back in the day we carried one on the line truck for cutting pole butts and cross arms .Every so often you would get a pole where they tried to sell roots and all .Kinda tough to stuff that thing in a hole with a big knot on the end of it .

All of my McCullochs have manual oilers, none of my Stihls have them...

It's been in the shed for probably ten years. Couldn't pass up a 'bargain'...it was $20 or so, and brand new in the box.

Except for the fact that it's about as heavy as an electric knife and will be self limiting as far as 'overdoing' (I've had chronic back troubles for the past few years and too much to do to let/help it go OUT) I'm not really sure WHAT the purpose of these little saws is.

The oiling question was the only thing that made me just put it back on the shelf and forget about it. Guess I thought for more than a minute on if it should be a constant push or just intermittent. With all this collective knowledge....I'm ready to give it a try. Ha! Could be fun.

Magnus, I promise I won't sit on the saw....ouch! (j/k I do know what you meant but it read that way at first and gave me a very strange mental picture!)

Al....the saw you used on the line truck was 12V?

Thanks guys, I'll post again with pictures if I take this thing out of its box...... :D

Al....the saw you used on the line truck was 12V?

Thanks guys, I'll post again with pictures if I take this thing out of its box...... :D
We had generators on both our line trucks and bucket trucks for power . In addition we had a welder /generator in case we needed extra power .Often times in late fall we might have to start work on a big change over before dawn or even work passed the time the sun went down to get done in the time frame we were given .

Thanks sweet Al for not using any 'what a dumb ass question' smiley. I had a feeling that was a duhhhhhh question when I was thinking it (LINE truck and all.)

:|:

They have their places .They are not timber fallers but do a pretty good job on occasional stuff .Besides that they start easily.

That reminds of a funny thread years ago on AS. Skwerl probably remembers the guy. He was back and forth to Home Depot exchanging burnt out Remingtons for new ones becasue he was trying to clear a building lot with one and about 600 feet of electrical cord.:lol:

Back