Back in the Wood

GASoline71

'cause chicks dig scars
I was part of a cuttin' crew yesterday for a small clearing operation on 25 acres. Mostly Doug Fir, Hemlock, and a lot of Alder... myself and one other cutter were the 2 doin' the fallin' work. First time I have had a saw in wood in over a year since my back injury. :)

It felt great to have the pockets of my Carhartt's full of wood chips again.

The guy I was workin' with had an awesome Husqvarna 281XP that ran like a top. I was runnin' my 044 with the 28" ES bar and full skip chain. He was runnin' the exact same length and chain But it was a Windsor speed-tip and Oregon full skip.

We both made great time through the wood as the 2 saws really complimented each other. We swapped saws for a few spars and that 281XP is really a cool saw. Since it is 10cc's larger than my 044 it really pulled that 28" bar and chain combo. We were in some 30" dbh Doug's and the 281 was the saw to have. It's been awhile since I have had a 2 series Husqvarna in my hands.

I have cut down a lot of trees that big with my 044... but the 281 was so much fun to bury in those big trees. My favorite Husqvarna is still the 372XP... but the older 2 series Husqvarnas are great old saws...

It was good to be back out there... I'm pretty sore today. Been awhile since i packed a saw around all day long... but nothin' beats the smell of fresh cut Doug Fir and 2 stroke... 8)

Gary

Cool deal, Gary. We were getting ready to revoke your membership here since you're an office pencil pusher now. :P

Gary, what can I say?

I'm really dissapointed in your comments in regards to your Stihl. I think you best just sell me that saw as well.;)

Good to hear you're out cutting man. Do I have to say it again, a part of me just loves killing trees. :evil:

Sorry leaflickers................not!:P

That sounds pretty damn cool Gary. A day in the woods to wash your worries away:)
Those 80cc husky's are the bomb. I have a pair of 181's that still cut the mustard when needed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cool deal, Gary. We were getting ready to revoke your membership here since you're an office pencil pusher now. :P

I don't push pencils...I push TIN :lol:

mov_pushing_tin_.jpg

Gary

PICS!!!!

I miss straight timber. Everything here has weird branches and stuff on it.

Glad to hear you are out cutting again. I bet it feels good to back in game!

.. but nothin' beats the smell of fresh cut Doug Fir and 2 stroke... 8)

Gary

Doesn't have to be Doug fir, really just about any tree will do, when you have been out of the woods for a while.
I fell out of a tree back in the early eighties and busted my back. It kept me out of logging for a while, so I know exactly how you feel about being back.
Good for you.

The 81 cc Huskies are real good cutters . I did some work this summer on my buddys 181 and 281 and was very impressed with them .

Not only did they have excellent power but they also put out a goodly amount of oil to the bar .Something I wish the Stihls would do .

Not only did they have excellent power but they also put out a goodly amount of oil to the bar .Something I wish the Stihls would do .

I don't get what you mean.
When I ran Huskys, they would empty the oiltank at the same rate as the gas tank.
Now I run Stihl and they empty the oiltank at the same rate as the gas tank.

The gas/oil combo canister I use is the same type I've always used and I don't see any difference in the oil/gas ratio now from in my husky days.

You do know about the little oil adjuster screw in the bottom of the Stihl saw, don't you?;)

Stig, most of the modern Stihls sold in America have lower volume oil pumps. With the current lineup you're lucky if you pump a half tank of oil per tank of fuel. The exceptions are the west coast versions sold with full wrap handles and usually running longer bars. I would guess that Denmark doesn't mandate the same restrictions. And also, this is on saws larger than what you typically use. The 361, 460 and 660 are the worst offenders.

And thank you for mentioning the oil pump adjustment screw, we forgot about that. :roll:

Skwerl, the stihl saws I run most days are the 441, 460 and 660.

I didn't think about the EPA having influenced oil pumps. Instead of them screwing around with that, why don't they simply make the use of biodegradable oil mandatory.
Whenever I do contract work for the State Forest Service here, we have to use Alkyd gas and bio oil.
I have yet to find a bio oil that lubricates as well as the oldfashioned stuff, but having switched to GB titanium alloy bars have helped a lot.

The oil screw is rather small, I just figured old Al might have overlooked it.
Myself, I can't see small objects anymore if I'm not wearing glasses!:D

Last edited:
I even had a thread here recently where I got the part numbers and replaced the oil pumps in my buddy's 460 and 660. The 660 oilers were 0.9mm vs 1.2mm, so there was a substantial difference in oil flow. I will guess that the Stihls sold in your country have the higher flow pumps.

Can we blame this derail of Gary's thread on Al? It's always his fault! :P :lol:

Oh go ahead ,I have broad shoulders .;) Maybe the newer Stihls have little oiler adjuster screws but the ones on mine are large enough to see .

Speaking of which I still haven't found one on my 2100 Husky .I suppose it's there some place .:?

Oh ,sorry .Glad to are getting some sawdust in your ear Gary .:)

There never was a manual oiler I didn't like. When the autos came out there was troubleson the horizion, to be sure.

Today, I can say the troubles with the autos are fixed. But not 100%. I sthil like a manual oiler.

Would mass holes quit de railing Gary's thread ...:?
HaHa:\:

They do it ever time ...
Nice to hear you had some fun in the wood cutting.
Filling up the pockets with chips yeah ,,, but i really never like it when they get in me boots.;)

The only saw I own with a manual oiler is the 076, actually both manual and automatic. It just feels right to pump that oiler before attacking a tree.

Maybe now that Gary is more at peace, his truck thread will come back to life too :D

No tree work here for awhile, so I hate these darn withdrawal symptoms. No saw being held to harmonic the arm shakes :(

Oh, just remembered, the 090G has one too. Poor boy doesn't get out much.

Back