Top 10 Knots for Scouts

• Thread starter TheTreeSpyder
  • Start date
  • Replies 22
  • Views 6K
T

TheTreeSpyder

What are the top 10 knots you'd recommend for scouts(or general people) to know for a 'merit badge' or whatever?

Bowline (and on a bite), double bowline, alpine butterfly, tauntline, scaffold/dfk, clove hitch, slip knot (both directions), and Water or Beer knot for tubing.

To get to 10:
Figure 8
Sheepshank

National Guard knot- just keep making half hitches.......:D

I'm not familiar with some of those knots, is there one in there for cinching down a load like a trucker's hitch?

For what, Burn? A figure 8 follow through would equate the same thing, or a scaffold for a stronger, more permanent affix'in, and a variation of the bowline (sheet bend) for an easy to untie version. That's 3 additional uses without any extra knots.

I don't dislike the square knot, but it seems redundant. I tried to pick knots that were very useful and had easy variations.

Steve, a slip knot works great for a Z rig (trucker's hitch). If you were inclined a butterfly, in line figure 8, or double bowline could also work. If you had a biner or ring, a clove hitch would work.

'Cause the list is for kids, and a simple knot like the square is a good way to teach the importance of tying a knot exactly right, rather than sorta close...as would result in a granny knot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
And they tie a "Double Slipped Square" (or Granny) in their shoelaces. And, yes the simplest of forms, for bearing out the most basic of lessons still important. Nice list, need a fishing knot, and mebbe a Pile Hitch rather than Sheepshank? i'm a fan of Constrictor for mending and hose clamp.

The square knot is a good fundamentals knot, but IMO, it's use is so limited I wouldn't put it on the "10 knots to know" list in favor of a more versatile knot.

I'm not a big fisher, but couldn't a DFK be used to attach a mono filament line to the hook? A variant with 3-4 wraps to help preserve more strength?

Ha my dad tought me the clinch as well. I picked those knots because they were the most versital I could come up with.

Dad got this with a 22lr:
Boocarpandruler.jpg

I always told folks that are just learning to tie , Look if you cnat tie a good knot , then tie a really big one...

bowline, double bowline, square, tautline, inline clove hitch, end line clove hitch, sheet bend, figure 8, slip knot, double fishermans.

I also think it depends on the age group of 'boy scouts' your referring too. if they are 11 yr olds just entering the ranks a double fish may be too hard. if they are 16-18 yr old Eagles, these may be too easy. As a Eagle Scout myself and having taught boys knots, even the easy ones unless constantly used, get forgotten easily. Teach them things they will actually use or could use on a daily basis.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What purposes should these holy 10 cover?

Fixed Eye, shrinking eye /noose, power (truckers), mending/binding/anchoring closure, fishing, friction hitch, midline eye, stopper, bending lines together, quick release, throwing knot, water/beer for flat line (or tubing?), dbl. slipped square for shoes?, rescue seat?

I don't think the fisherman's is too hard, I learned it at 10-11.

I'm of the crowd of showing them the knot, get them where they can tie it, then show them what can be done with it.

Don't hold the whole group back so one isn't left behind. Spend extra time with him outside of group time if you like.

Back