Clove Animation

• Thread starter TheTreeSpyder
  • Start date
  • Replies 21
  • Views 3K
T

TheTreeSpyder

i've been playing with this as a strategy for displaying knots for months; previously lost my other set i was making to a disk crash. so of curse i had to remake it better... The hardest thing is giving the impression of 3D/depth.

On the rear depth layering, is it okay/understood with both lines spread (1 up, 1 down from center); or should they both slant down (which obscures some of the working) etc.?

You can drag the pointer back and forth to view different points in animation. This is mostly for as the knots become more complicated..

On the rear depth layering, is it okay/understood with both lines spread (1 up, 1 down from center); or should they both slant down (which obscures some of the working) etc.?.

The spread seems OK to me...the way you have it drawing is interesting...I had never thought of a clove as a type of "8" but it sure draws out that way.

I'll be interested in seeing other knots that way...the bowline on a bight always makes me nuts...maybe your animation can help me get my pea noodle brain wrapped around it finally.

It's good, KC....easy to understand.

On the rear depth layering, is it okay/understood with both lines spread (1 up, 1 down from center); or should they both slant down (which obscures some of the working) etc.?

Although I'm not sure it's needed, could you add a final frame where the knot looks like it would 'in use'.....with the back pieces in place? My very poor illustration of what I'm trying to say, I'm sure you could make it look proper:

Attachments

• cloveKC.gif
    cloveKC.gif
    45.5 KB · Views: 27
Ken, I think this is a great idea. And I think Che's addition is VERY necessary. I can't believe the computer talent you guys have in the creation of these animations. They are SUPER tools.

The second biggest mistake you see in knot tying, is not properly dressing and setting. Often people don't realize the knot may not work unless these two steps are done properly. I personally believe lack of attention in this area is the cause of most knot failures.

Dave

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanx, back to drawing bored for that; probably going to have to lose interiour shadowing/beveling to get that to look right. Part of my problem is i'm so intense and picky as i'm doing these; then 6mos. later it's like "that didn't look soooo bad.."!

Ken, I've visited your website many times. I must confess, I don't understand everything. But that's not your fault, it's just my lack of being able to absorb so much information. :?

I am glad you have made it available for any who made need it. Good luck with this new animation.

Dave

Thanx fer the comments, been back in my lab remaking strategy. The one presented doesn't lend itself to grouping up the turns as neatly as Lady Che shows (partially due to the vectorized rather than bitmap graphics).

The good news is what i'm werking on now is easier to produce; i might have 50 files building up to the animation at start of this thread trying to git it jest right, and maintain the seamless eye candy.... i'm also playing with more colors in rope, and trying to lend texture with the beveled blur (as rope turns around sides of self and host spar for more realistic look/feel than original animations) for Flash has evolved since i started all of this (one of the original aims of my site and reason to L-earn Flash).

edit:At first the BoB (Bowline on a Bight) seems complicated, but is knot. Take a dbld. line/ bight and form your tree and rabbit hole, take the bight loop as the rabit up the hole, then fold down and around the formed bight in the bight (bring in forward from Standing and around 360 to now rest behind Standing) Grogs animated BoB

Pre-animation this is the type strategy i'm working on now. For the un-initated this is a Constrictor Hitch, a clove (as shown previously) with 1 extra 'tuck'. i used this tied in throwline once stuck on the hiway as a hose clamp for the radiator. It held from Georgia to Indiana, then driving around for a week, until i changed it before coming back. Very good ending knot for lashing too; and also for mending round poles etc.

The Constrictor is kinda a work of art in knotting theory to me.

Attachments

• knotConstrictor.JPG
    knotConstrictor.JPG
    8.2 KB · Views: 52
I have always found a beautiful aspect of the clove hitch since I was in Boy Scouts... It still amazes me how many knots and such I use from those childhood days. TY for posting that Spyder. I have ideas for that lil knot ;) Amazingly enough I can still do a one handed bowline to this day ;)

A cousin of the Clove and Constrictor, the Bag Knot(?). Very secure, very easily slipped. On of my favorites. The spar alpha thing isn't perfect, and couldn't menu the other knots in 'family' (Clove, Constrictor, Groundline).

Making these even bares out more so, about describing and studying in mechanical modules. All 4 knots (Bag, Clove, Constrictor, Groundline), are constructed from the Same turn that crosses itself,and then makes another Turn. What determines what knot results after that (Bag, Clove, Constrictor, Groundline) depends only on the final end piece. So, that was a cheat to animating each, as well as seeking similar mechanics.

Never seen that constrictor knot, great.

Butterfly not coil...duh.

(just realized that)

That's a cool way tie it.

I do it by twisting the bight twice etc...

Hard to explain, animation is better.

Cool stuff.

Some expansions: Knot Animator

Working on climber's Friction Hitches next i think. Couldn't embed here.

Last time i started this, Nick challenged that i should stay safe and show the fig.8. i told him it was tooo hard. i was write; as that lil'thing has proven the toughest so far to do smoothly; but, then lessons L-earned(so that loss turned into gain).

One of the aims of this is small file size. Individually they are ok, like 10k or so (pretty good for sharp pix animated at 30/sec. for smooth play and rewind). When i use a library to draw same elements to reuse from knot to knot; i can't embed hear, so can only link, until i figure that out. (Might be a security violation of the player having to access domain outside of TH to do this).

Tell'em ya sawed it here first, @ Wild Nick's House of Spice!

Back