255 pounder climbs Whithey

Guess there's hope for me then! He's got me beat by ten pounds.

And you are ten up on me Jeff !!! :P

BTW, I sent you a PM last week.

Bob

One of my favorite old climbing partners weighed about 250, was 6'-7" and could do one arm pullups. It was great, we always had him lead the roof pitches because he could reach a mile... damn, those were some fun years.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ive never met anyone over 200 who could do a one arm.
Thats a very strong fellow.
Hey Blinky you never answered that question about the 7 mile long cliff in alabama with the high end homes on top of it now.
What place is that called ?

Could that have been Doug Reed ?

Ive never met anyone over 200 who could do a one arm.
Thats a very strong fellow.
Hey Blinky you never answered that question about the 7 mile long cliff in alabama with the high end homes on top of it now.
What place is that called ?

Could that have been Doug Reed ?

There's actually a few of those escarpments. The one that was near my house in Bluff Park is called Shades Crest/DeeTennessee/Lover's Leap. It was a seven or eight mile band of sandstone between 40' and 120' high with gobs of detached boulders. John Gill climbed there for a while when he was in Birmingham. Access is effectively closed because of the McMansions lining the bluff now.
There's also Steele which may be closed now but it's another similar crag on a ridge with a lot more 100'+ routes and tons of roofs. That's where I learned to lead and pull roofs with lots of air underneath. I miss those places. They were written up in Mountain 84 (even got my picture in that one) and later in Climbing, I don't know what issues.

There are some other good areas but access is dodgy. Yellow Creek, Griffin Falls, Palisades... I hear they even climb in Little River Canyon but god knows where they find good solid rock. Pretty much everything is sandstone.

Jim Wilder was the guy's name, haven't talked to him in 20 years.

Dude, Blinky, i have climbed at Steele , yellow creek, james town, griffin falls, yellow bluff and little river canyon.
I actually did my first sport route 12a at steele with Curt Merchant and James Dobbs and Mark and Jennifer Cole.
Yellow creek is my favorite.
Did many FA's there.

Im not totally sure but i think ive heard of Jim Wilder.

John, yeah i know Doug Reed but i knew his brother better .
Both were mutants.
And Dougs bro , Maurice was not to be messed with.
He onsighted Grand Dragon as well ,which shut down Hydataki Suzuki.
I was there that day ,Maurice was so freakish.
Sooner or later i still put those babies to rest.
haha.
Lately these youngsters been putting me to rest.
But not my hard lines.
Still a few of those left unrepeated.
But not for long :(:O:|:

Jim Wilder though dang did he climb at yellow creek ?
Blinky?

One of the climbers in my arborist apprenticeship course was 225 lbs and he was actually the fastest climber in the class. He was faster than the teacher in the final speed climb. He was just a strong guy.

Jim Wilder though dang did he climb at yellow creek ?
Blinky?

Whoa, I just spotted this. Hell yeah he climbed at Yellow Creek, so did I! Those were the longest routes in Alabama at the time. It was a wet place, lots of ice every once in a while.

One of the climbers in my arborist apprenticeship course was 225 lbs and he was actually the fastest climber in the class. He was faster than the teacher in the final speed climb. He was just a strong guy.
----------------------------------

Hey Muggs,

Welcome to the "Tree House"!!!

Glad to see another Ontario guy in the House! Heck, I'm only 2hrs south of you just outside of Windsor.

Hang around a bit, this place growes on you after a while.

Don't mine them fellas south of the border, a good bunch of guys but they just have a few misconceptions about Canadians!

-They think Ottawa is our capital but everyone knows its Toronto.
-They don't believe all out police officers wear Red Tunics & Stetson hats.
-And a few think some of us Canucks live in igloos not knowing we all do!:P

So if your ever down this way...look me up. Here's a picture of my home taken (in August) this past summer.

If you want to go to a Red Wings hockey game in Detroit, bring your shorts...its hot over there just 5 minutes from Canada!!! :P

Again, welcome to the Site,

HC

Attachments

• inupiat-eskimo-igloo_438.jpg
    inupiat-eskimo-igloo_438.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 55
Hey Muggs, welcome. Dont listen to hobby climber, he is out of touch with todays Canuckians. :D

Thanks for the welcome. Hobby Climber, that's a sweet bachelor pad you got there. My igloo used to be all pimped out, but then you get married and have kids and you start to wonder if you should move into a bigger place....

Ah, life in the Great White North

Attachments

• Igloo_finito.jpg
    Igloo_finito.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 5
Muggs,

Ya have to forgive Paul, he's pissed because he built to big a fire in his old house and it MELTED! :P

HC

Back