Rigging Question

MasterBlaster

Administrator Emeritus
The other day I was roping some med-large logs using a false crotch and pulley. The rope held, but the outer cover broke. It seemed to me (and this is a first) that the log hit the standing line of the bullrope, smashing it against the tree. Of course, I didn't really see it so I don't really know. All I know is the rope didn't have a bad spot in it, so something cut it.

Anybody else ever experience this? It seems like the only way around it is to use two pulleys, which would be a royal PITA but better than cutting the rope.

WTF? :what:

The time it happened to me it broke the rope and a 1000 lb. or so limb fell to the ground, but didn't break anything. Yeah probbaly the only way to avoid it is to put another pulley in the tree.

A while back I was doing a BIG wreck and was roping wood over to another tree. I saw a big block swing right into the trunk of the other tree and smash the rope. Upon inspection it had frayed the rope at that point and the core felt "bumpy" too. Sucked as it was a 250' 9/16 staible braid on its maiden voyage and obviously it was about midway so I ended up with 2 short ropes:|:

I try to run the rope off to one side so that it is not in the direct line of fall.

I never used two pulleys... So I am trying to picture that chunking the trunk. I will however use a speed line type set up to drop the chucks and often times line it down at a sharp angle if I don't have turf to consider. Just sort of directing the load off the tree and less shock on the rope but controlled as not to roll into something. I know you are only supposed to use speed line to direct the load away from a structure or what not. But I use it for that reason too... Keep the chunk from hitting my shat also and placing it where the guys can manage it out of the drop zone.. Sounds like letting the line run would have helped though.
Does anyone have a diagram on the two pulley thing.. I would like to see that...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I try to run the rope off to one side so that it is not in the direct line of fall.

You know, that's IT! Now that I remember, (and I just called the guy to discuss it) my groundie DID have the porty directly under the pulley.

The Cure has been found!!! :rockon:

Does anyone have a diagram on the two pulley thing.. I would like to see that...

No diagram's necessary. It's just two pulleys at the same level (more or less), but spaced a foot or so apart. This will separate the two lines a bit.

Here is a picture from "The Art and Science of Practical Rigging". Where I find it useful is when you are using a rigging point that isn't real strong. Putting a second pulley back at the trunk of the tree redirects the stress down the limb toward the trunk instead of straight down.

Attachments

• rope.jpg
    rope.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 131
Sure Steve....that can be called the "fishing pole technique"

But Butch was butt hitching.....only one block can be used. And, yes, I like to push them off a few degrees to the side, and/or have the GRCS/porrtawrap/Hobbs off to the side by 10-25 degrees.

I often run a line to two points and lower like a triangle ... Centers the chunk on the two points.. one static and the other lowering... Keeps it off the rope for the most part... But a run in the line works for me when they get it right on the ground.
Sorry don't know the name for it.. I need to buy that dang book.. LOL

I'm not really sure what you mean there. I use a block or a crotch when I have to and the next progression from there is usually a tagline if need be. Seems like alot of unnescessary messing around unless I'm not following what you mean?

It's something Rob came up with.. I wish I could draw it but I suck at it and I can't seem to make it clear enough.. Does require you leave a bit of branch on the trunk though. Sort of like Steve's pic but centering the load between the two points...

Like rigging a drift line in another tree? On a straight up removal butt hitch and false crotch away for the spar, I don't see any reason to get more complex than that. What's the purpose of it for? To move the piece away from obstacles at the butt of the tree?

Driftline, tagline might have helped. Sometimes without one or the other your gonna wind up banging or scraping over rough wood. depending on the trunk shape, no matter whether a guy lets it run or not its gonna smash the loadline.

Back