cal trans hiring

thattreeguy

TreeHouser
newly released job
file by dec 5th
written exam march 7 2009

click on open exams

Does anyone work for cal trans currently?
The wage sounds low, but maybe the bennies are worthy.
If anyone currently or previously worked this job please speak up, give your thoughts.

With the economy tanking it may be a good job, too bad it takes almost a year of paper work to get on.

I think those are all good jobs. The goofy guy who contract climbs for me used to be a cal trans climber/bucket guy. His personality f'd the job up for him. Typical govt. job, you aren't expected to do too much, safety procedures must be followed to the letter. He said you needed a class A drivers license and clean DMV printout. The wages on the entry level position aren't that swift but if you advance a little then they are pretty good.

I saw some of those guys working when I was in redwood country in '02. Oddly enough I was at the 'Treehouse Project' site of Jerry's (although I didn't know it at the time...)

It was my first trip out to see my wifes Brother, his family got a good intro of what my wife was going through being married to an arborist:) I've got some pics of those cal trans guys working...highlight of the trip (for me) was going to the Balileys store:lol:

I talk to several of the climbers on the Cal Trans crews regularly. They all seem to be pretty knowledgeable - at least they ask the right questions and don't by crappy gear. Chances are good you'd have competent co-workers if you worked there.

I browsed a few contracts they were offering, certified arborist required to watch some oleander and Cercis "redbud" pruning.

Don't want to mess up the structure of that oleander. To add to my earlier post he said that you did need to know what you were doing but they didn't crack the whip on your too bad.

I am so thankful I never poisoned any horses with oleander chips. Nasty stuff.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
i hate puking oleander

nah up here its deadwooding big pines and removals,
the cdf cons do a wonderful job on that brush
i asked 1 of their guys what they did for their day and he told me, i almost laughed, you gotta do 2x as much in the private sector in a day

i dont know if i have the personality for it but i may throw in paper for it

the retirement for state employees has got to be better than the no retirement plan that i have now

Back