Anyone wanna work in the bean??

OTGBOSTON

punk in drublic
CITY OF BOSTON PARKS AND RECREATION DEPARTMENT
NOTICE TO ENTRY LEVEL URBAN FORESTERS
REQUEST FOR QUALIFICATIONS
The Boston Parks and Recreation Department, acting through its Commissioner, is requesting qualifications for an Assistant Project Manager for its Urban Forestry Program. Entry-level, one-year, full-time contract position.
Salary $35,000 to $45,000 per year without benefits, commensurate with training and experience. This is a full time position.
Job Description: The Assistant will be responsible for the administration and quality control of multiple street-tree planting contracts. The Assistant will review streetscape and other construction projects and provide recommendations to mitigate any impacts to public shade trees. The Assistant will be responsible for program development such as grant writing and community forestry programs including Arbor Day, Tree City USA, Keep it Clean/Green, the Boston Urban Stewards Program, and the Community Forest Partnership. The Assistant is also expected to perform any miscellaneous work that may be necessary to carry out the Urban Forestry Program.
Minimum Qualifications:
· Bachelor's degree in urban forestry or arboriculture, environmental science/ecology or a closely related field and three or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
· Knowledge of urban forest management practices as needed to preserve the City's trees
· Excellent communication and public relations skills
· Proficiency with Microsoft programs
Preferred Qualifications:
· Experience with contractors' work practices
· Certified Arborist (state or ISA)
· Ability to read and interpret landscape plans, GIS maps, etc. as needed to assist developers and to manage urban forestry projects and programs
· Ability to identify problems and review related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions

Must be a resident of the City Of Boston, and possess a valid drivers license

A city job that keeps you out of the office...being able to fool around on the taxpayers time is a big benefit, judging by the people who work for the town where I reside.

Office job, good for somebody that wants a secure position in the industry without the 20 years of hard labor. Sounds like a cool gig for the right person, with nowhere to go but up.

Greg, If the degree is not necessary why is a B.S. listed as a minimum qualification? I call BS on your B.S. you BSer!:P

35-40 grand in Boston won't give you a very good standard of living .It would be iffy even here which has one of the cheapest in the country regarding how far a dollar goes .

35-40 grand in Boston won't give you a very good standard of living .It would be iffy even here which has one of the cheapest in the country regarding how far a dollar goes .

What I am thinking Al, not much dough, NO BENNIES, which insurance is cheap:roll:.

I thought beni's was the main attraction of city jobs, or perhaps it's better said as the standard of working for the city for beni's and retirement.

Now that I read it, I think he means $35-$45K without including benifits, which would raise the practical value of the position to a number much higher. Kinda like saying $60k a year, but you only get $45k on your paycheck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
you mis read stumper...

Bachelor's degree in urban forestry or arboriculture, environmental science/ecology or a closely related field and three (years experience) OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.

;) looks like it wasn't proofread

Anywhooo...No benes, its a contract position.

No drug test.

Residency rule is required for full time union employees for 10 years. This isn't a union position so there is some flexibility there.

The pay is sufficient to live in the City, I wasn't making much more than that before I got on, and I lived here...

Brian is exactly right, perfect job for someone who is not suited for treework but wants to be in the urban forestry profession. In the past we've had a lot of people from Yale in this position (Ivy league forresters:|: good with theory not-so-much in practice), not always but mostly women.

This IS an entry level position and if the candidate does well they will be promoted to a full-time union position that caps out at about 80K (before ot, and we get LOTS of ot)

The average in this area I suppose is 35-40 grand accross the board .As I've said though this area is always in the top ten regarding affordable living .

I lived in the New England states 'taint cheap by a long shot most places .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
:lol: no sweat Rob.

I am hoping to get someone good who dosen't want to sit on their ass all winter collecting unemployment. I have a feeling a lot of treeguys are gonna be out of work...

and THIS is a much better song;)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/x-64CaD8GXw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/x-64CaD8GXw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Suhweet! I just forwarded this to a friend of mine who is moving back to Boston to get her Master's degree in landscape design.

Back