Logger's Tape, Nail shape/type

Reddog

TreeHouser
For those that use the Spencer or Gord logger's tape, what shape or type of nail do you use?

Here is what I find works the best. But some times is hard to get it to release.

Attachments

• IMG_1192.JPG
    IMG_1192.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1195.JPG
    IMG_1195.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 19
Same here, horseshoe nail. My point comes off straighter though not so much curl, maybe that's making it harder to release for you.

I prefer the quick-releases, but in a nail, I like it straight

Also use a horseshoe nail. My old logging shop in WA had a bucket of them for sale on the counter. I also keep mine straight, and they pull out pretty well.

give the end of that nail a 90 degree twist and it may come out easier. like others mines strait

I use mine straight, the way it came from Bailey's. Although it looked like yours after I tried to push it into some dead black locust.:lol:

straight, also a guy wants to tape the nail heavy, so there is no flex. The extra seconds lost fumbling with the nail on the end of the tape can be a 2 or 3 tree difference at the end of a day in the strip. Plus the tape helps beef up the rivet point.:)

That's exactly how the Bailey nails come, in fact, you can buy just the Bailey nail. I'll be taping my nail as well!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the input.
I do vary how straight the nail is by what species of trees I am cutting.
Softwood, soft thick bark, straight.
Hardwood, thin hard bark, curved.

Wiley, I like the tape idea.

Hence why I posted the question, trying to see if there is a better way.:)

Back