Looking for a new lanyard

• Thread starter swampy036
  • Start date
  • Replies 41
  • Views 5K
S

swampy036

I have 18' of fly with a eye and eye ice. Getting ready to toss this one and was looking for some suggestions

I love my 5/8 cable core... with eye on each end. But I don't work around power lines. So I am making one out of 1/2 Samson Black Static kernmantle... Don't think I am going to be splicing eyes in it though, just good ol knots to the clips. I have an extra mechanical adjust for it also.... Both will be 18 foot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
20' opps sounds like good find. I got a a 150 of tachyon I have not really gotten the chance to break it in yet. I think I might be looking for something a little stiffer. I have a steel core but I dont like it that much. My fly did pretty well by me just not that great for flipping.

I have not broke in the Samson static yet... pretty stiff right now so I will see how it performs as a flip. Only 1/2" too and I am used to 5/8. I bought 150 hank of it an so I thought taking 20 feet to play with won't hurt ;). I am going to buy more anyway:D

I use a 15ft Beeline lanyard with an Ultratech hitch. Works great. Nice n light too! Not any good for flipping though. If thats important to you? Never been an issue for me.

YUP. I have had mine out all the way more than a few times. Base of some of these pines and for ascending, using the lanyard to advance my TIP and just taking in the slack as I get to it for getting around large leaders and such... Not to mention leaning out horizontally to make that hard to reach cut. I have limb walked with it in a manner of speaking also..

Dang, you guys use long lanyardz.

Ive used a 6 footer for years, but when I bought the beeline lanyard I thought since it was so much lighter and more compact, I could take advantage of using a longer one. So far i like it. 15 footer weighs less than my old 6 footer.

i'd have locked daisy chain of so much tail, kept a keychain krab in the bitter end to hang the chain on back of saddle. Then have only so much line out of the chain, until i needed it. have a dog leash snap (swivel to relieve twisting ) along the length for hanging up the slack between daisy and D) at it's mid point. Have lanyard reeved through D as mount for the prussik and then the D is the tender too.

Looking at 20'. Which on small climbs becomes the lifeline, and a 4' sling Girthed to D with approved krab on end as lanyard then. Short scrap for rigging, fer quick-ease.

I think I may try a bee line lanyard for my next one. I saw someone using it at the Illinois TCC, and I was thinking wow that is a great idea.

I use 16 strand climbing line (yale xtc) with a gibbs. About 10'.

This is what i use...

Attachments

• IMG_1151.jpg
    IMG_1151.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1152.jpg
    IMG_1152.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 109
Ya know I have an issue with these figgin' tri-act biners. Don't get me wrong, if safety is their concern for making us use em' thats one thing, BUT in some cases I believe they can be MORE risky to use. Risky might be the wrong word, inconvenient is probably closer to the truth.

When a climber has to wear extra gloves in the cold the things are just plain difficult to open. The gloves are for warmth, NOT stopping abrasion or rope burn, which combined with the cold makes dexterity an issue.

As double acting snaps are approved for use on lanyards (ie. Petzl grillion) why wouldn't climbers use them on climbing lines too?

I would appreciate responses!

Ya know I have an issue with these figgin' tri-act biners. Don't get me wrong, if safety is their concern for making us use em' thats one thing, BUT in some cases I believe they can be MORE risky to use. Risky might be the wrong word, inconvenient is probably closer to the truth.

When a climber has to wear extra gloves in the cold the things are just plain difficult to open. The gloves are for warmth, NOT stopping abrasion or rope burn, which combined with the cold makes dexterity an issue.

As double acting snaps are approved for use on lanyards (ie. Petzl grillion) why wouldn't climbers use them on climbing lines too?

I would appreciate responses!

I use a double acting snap for my lanyard.

I like it Jim. What is the use for the first prussic on the gold caribeaner?

Hey mate,

The sling prussic is for lanyard positioning use on a single line, instead of choking the carabiner directly off on the branch, ya get it? It just stops side loading on the bina thats all. Hard to explain for such a simple technique. I can put a pic up if required. Cheers.

TD your right with trying to use gloves on triple lock carabiners, it is a pain but i still use them with gloves regardless, it makes me super fast when it warms up and i dont have to wear gloves!

last rec. climb I did to the sequoias, my friend Jesse Bawcum used a real long 3/8 static line spliced into a lanyard.
On the ground it looked like a good idea; real long and very light weight.
But up in the tree he just fought with it the entire time.
My 1/2 flip lines were easier to throw, and were just stiff enough to be able to work the snap ends back to me fairly easily.

I like using two flip lines when rec. climbing. Cable core when flipping up trunks and doing removals.
Single light weight shorty flip line for most pruning.

I guess what I am saying is that I adjust my gear for each type of climb I am doing. I dont have one single system for all jobs.

Back