281xp and 359

sotc

Dormant hero!!
my buddy has both of these saws and is tryig to make extra money selling wood. apparently bothare running like the one legged dogs they are:D i told him id ask and see what the basic carb settings are and common problems. he said theyl start up and run 30 seconds or so and die. i know some of you work on these (alot im sure:P) and i thought id pick your brains a bit:)

Brian is correct...but there are exceptions that take 1.25 turns....and a few 1.5 and .75. The 281 is definitely 1 turn open on each jet as a starting point. The 359 I don't know.

A 281 would certainly have enough grunt for a firewood cutter . Maybe a tad bit on the heavy side though .

If it dies at idle more than likely the low speed is set a tad bit on the lean side . If it dies in the cut the high speed is set stingy .

You might also suggest to your buddy that the stock 359 is a known dog, but has proven to be one of the greatest saws to modify, the power gain is awesome. At least a muffler mod will help, if he doesn't want to go to the extent of having it ported and piston work. The muffler on the ep model is particularly stuffed up by the catalytic converter.

If it has a green gas cap, it's an ep model.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You might also suggest to your buddy that the stock 359 is a known dog, but has proven to be one of the greatest saws to modify, the power gain is awesome. At least a muffler mod will help, if he doesn't want to go to the extent of having it ported and piston work. The muffler on the ep model is particularly stuffed up by the catalytic converter.

If it has a green gas cap, it's an ep model.

double the output hole?

well he comp tested the big one and only had 70 pounds so thats a rebuild. the little one he rebuilt the carb since he had already bout a kit and said it was running fine. tomorrows his test! he thinks he and a buddy are going to cut, split and load 7 cords!

double the output hole?

I can't remember what the original size opening was on my 359. I drilled out the center baffle to about a 5/8" -3/4" hole, and did the same on the outside, welding a short pipe around the hole.
Later I learned that the cat mufflers have an internal platinum coating, which is hazardous to your health, apparently. Fortunately, I'm not coughing or anything..... I think wearing gloves and a dust mask would be sufficient. Some people who have the e tech model, choose to buy the standard muffler before modifying it. The carb should be adjusted to a richer setting than when stock, after the mod.

My 359 is fully modded, but I've heard that just doing the muffler will increase power in the neighborhood of 20%, plus the saw will run cooler. The downside is that the decibels increase somewhat, and fuel consumption may go up slightly. It's well worth doing the mod on the 359. Also, a great saw to do porting work on, as the transfer covers are removable, so it makes working on the cylinder easy...if your friend wants to go that route at some point.

he likes to bomb his stuff so he might try it sometime, thanks jay

he hasnt made it to my house to pick up my chokers yet:D

they are working a madrone pile out of town, prolly easy firewooding but id tip my hat if they managed 4 today

Hell yah. With two eager guys good saws, good wood and good access I'd be happy with three and four would be bragging rights.

Skwishey, your standard for 'good saws' is probably a little bit higher than most. :lol::lol::lol:
These guys aren't running EHP saws. ;)

Hell yah. With two eager guys good saws, good wood and good access I'd be happy with three and four would be bragging rights.
A couple of weeks ago we did about 7,from a cut pile but it didn't all get stacked .2 splitters ,4 young eager guys and one old coot with a gray beard .;) Two men,cut split stacked, 3 would be a good day especially if it had to be hauled a ways . My best ever was 2 by myself but that was a long day and that day was years ago when I wore a younger mans clothes . I'm tickled to get a cord now days .

MAN!!! Me and a REALLY good helper, with good saws, two cord eguals four hours of hard cutting and carrying!!!
Now thats an hour and half each way drive time, then come home and split it.
Seven? They are better men to even dream that, than I!

Back