All New Fuel / Water Blues ...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's a gov't mandate that that adds 10% methanol ....not a damm thing you can do about it (two new carbs later)

The fuel here has not affected any of our saws, but John will only buy fuel for our boat at a place that has marine fuel with out the methanol.

I believe that there is discussion at the chainsaw performance forum about modifying a carb for methanol. I seem to remember it was pretty complicated, but some folks are trying to work around the problem.

Sure hope that such a mandate never happens here....might have to go to using aviation fuel.

Is there any reason NOT to use 100LL in chainsaws? I mean, would it damage the saw?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know , nothing is ever easy .... V's post has me thinking about trying to buy Marine fuel over in New Hampshire , 25 miles to the border ... they have alot of big lakes ...thanks V !

Is there any reason NOT to use 100LL in chainsaws? I mean, would it damage the saw?

I don't believe it will damage a saw, but unless it is a higher performance modified saw, you will get no additional gains. Likely you will get pre-ignition knock using it in a stock saw, the fuel/air mixture igniting too soon before reaching higher compression.

Go to the Airport and buy avgas. Higher octane than you need but no problems. However, alcohol whether ethanol or methanol combines readily with water so it works as a gas dryer. 10% alcohol shouldn't be CAUSING a water problem-it is the solution. Where alcohol can and does prove problematic is in stiffening diaphrams in OLD carb parts (everything produced in the last 20 years should be okay) and some of these alcohol blends are very prone to vapor lock in 2 cycles.

Hmm..... I was told that they would not harm our engines.......considering the number of ULs running 2 strokes I bet it is harmless to run the higher octane, purer fuel-just unnecessary.

I was told that aviation fuel wouldn't readily mix with 2 stroke oil.

Likely you will get pre-ignition knock using it in a stock saw, the fuel/air mixture igniting too soon before reaching higher compression.
Actually the reverse is true .Av gas burns slower therefore prevents or curtails pre ignition . In addition to higher compression an internal combustion gasoline engine is effected by altitude regarding pre ignition therefore the reason for av gas in the first place .

I see no reason why mix oil would be any different using av gas as it would be to any other gasoline . They ran the stuff back in the Kart days with no ill effects that I ever heard of .

So most likely if you are not in the Rocky mountains or some other high altitude place av gas would have little effect on the way the saw runs . Really for that matter I've ran saws at over 10,000 feet in the Rockys and saw no ill effects other than they didn't have as much power that high .Neither did any thing else including myself .:|:

Mike, High alcohol content fuels have mixing issues with oil making some autoracing fuels problematic. I don't think there should be any mixing issue with avgas. 82UL is about the same as regular unbleaded pump gas except for stricter vapor pressure control.....it would be perfect except most of the new generation of saws require higher octane per the makers. 100LL has plenty of octane rating but it is leaded so we will get some lead exposure from the exhaust gases.

Well,all gas had tetrethyel lead in it before maybe 1970 .A little lead most likely won't hurt you ,maybe put some lead back in the pencil ,who knows . The lead additive was an anti knock compound but also served as a lubricant for the ex valve on a 4 cycle engine .Of course they developed new compounds and redesigned the valves so it's not needed any more .

At one time gasoline was mainly two ingrediants ,heptane and isoctane .All isoctane would be 100 octane ,etc .They haven't used octane however in decades but the rating system pretty much remains the same but is labeled "octane rating " rather than content . If you delve into racing gas it actually can have a higher rating than 100 octane ,"cam 2 " etc types .

Evrytime I see a thread like this or other fuel related for that matter I get all warm and fuzzy inside...

We don't use that here!

I don't need all the troubble from this.

We use pre mixed Alkylate fuel!... Thankfully!

Mike, High alcohol content fuels have mixing issues with oil making some autoracing fuels problematic. I don't think there should be any mixing issue with avgas. 82UL is about the same as regular unbleaded pump gas except for stricter vapor pressure control.....it would be perfect except most of the new generation of saws require higher octane per the makers. 100LL has plenty of octane rating but it is leaded so we will get some lead exposure from the exhaust gases.

Just saying what I was told. I won't even pretend to understand any of it. I do know that the ethanol in our gas here in mass is raising hell with carbs, fuel lines, anything rubber. I do appreciate you trying to teach me though.

I understand Mike. FWIW Magnus love sthe premixed alkylate fuels sold for saws in Europe, 100LL Avgas contains a high percentage of alkylates.

Lets all move to Sweden and become commies. At least we'll have good gas.;)

Most of the problem with a tiller is the fact they only get used a couple of months per year in this part of the country . About like a snow blower come winter or the lawnmower come spring time . Fact is I had a fight with my leaf vac last fall that about sent me into a fit .

Those Briggs engines where the tank sets below the carb have a diaphragm pump in them that raises the fuel to the carb .Just like the diaphragm in a saw carb they can cause a lot of grief at times . Always remember though for as much problems as they are it still beats a hoe .

Back