A small fir crown reduction

• Thread starter Gord
  • Start date
  • Replies 38
  • Views 5K
G

Gord

This is at a local golf course, they wanted us just to reduce the heavy top a little.

The tree
olf_fir.jpg

Ascending
oldfir2.jpg

Just hanging out
oldfir1.jpg

Nice sound top piece
oldfir3.jpg

Sky and Me
oldfir4.jpg

Crater
oldfir5.jpg

Jobsite
oldfir6.jpg

http://www.gianttree.ca/video/Old_Fir_2008.avi 'right click, save as...'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW-_IO08NdI (click on 'watch in high quality')

I can't believe you spurred a live tree for a few small cuts...

So left coasters, whats the trick to spurring up those big trees like that? I notice Gord gave up shortly after getting off the ground.
2 Lanyards?

I would have gave up too I think..

You have to give the flipline loads of slack, the pull all of it to one side, then roll it around and up like getting the kink out of a garden hose, then raise the opposite end just as the roll gets around to that side to capture the upward movement.

Shoulda used foam.:) That's a big tree. Nothing saps your energy like swinging a big saw around on spurs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So left coasters, whats the trick to spurring up those big trees like that? I notice Gord gave up shortly after getting off the ground.
2 Lanyards?

I would have gave up too I think..

The bigness isn't so much the problem, the bark is. It's really thick with deep furrows (4-6 inches easy) so you really have look and see where you're placing each gaff. Also it often breaks off in big pieces when you spur into it, or is too spongy to even hold your spur, especially on the lower trunk. So you end up gaffing out a lot. At any rate rope ascension is the way to go. I've sport climbed some old growth in Vancouver that old climbers told me about- the one fella said it too him 2 hours to get to the first limb in this one tree that took about 15min for me and a friend to get up on a set rope.

its hard on the arms as you need enough slack on a tree that size that you cant really lean back and are always holding your self with your arms

There's nary a fir anywhere in the Puget Sound lowlands around Seattle anyhow that even come close to that monster. What was once the tallest was 220 feet and just across Lake Wa from Seattle. I've seen the remaining 40 feet of it, but think it was smaller, maybe 7 feet dbh.

Impressive, Gord....you tryin' to catch up with Gerry?

Back