Frost Cracks

TC3

Headache !
On a camping trip this summer, my guy pointed out a piece of machinery in a marina and told me it was a converted root cutter for tree farms.
I don't have a pic, but it was basically a tall-legged tractor. It's used to go down rows of 'whips' (young trees) and cut into the earth on either side to prepare the trees for later harvest. The whips are short & supple enough that they just bend over when the tractor goes over them.
In a 'light-bulb' moment, Craig wondered out loud if this early injury, though unseen at the time, is the true cause of frost cracks ? If the whips having been bent over so far sheared the rays and weakened them, allowing for a later reaction of early sap flow to freeze inside these wounds ?
I thought it was a good theory.
What say you ?

Could be a causal factor... that would make for a good study project. Maybe someone will give you some grant money to research this. ;)

True or not, I applaud the creative thinking process and encourage you to continue looking at all things with this curious eye. It's that kind of thinking that leads to great discoveries. Keep it up! :D

Maybe, I think I'm gonna apply for a grant. My plan will include logging of tremendous amounts of crown land so I can find enough trees to solve this question.:D

Back