Ash Growth Abnormality

FJR

Treehouser
This Ash tree is slated for removal. Half of the crown has died back and there is this abnormal growth on the bole of the tree. The tree is around 18" in diameter below the growth and around 24" at the growth, then goes back to 18" above the growth.

The fence against the tree is just a section from somewhere else, it is just leaning against the tree, it is not permanent. The client has said there is has never been any structure that has touched the tree.

It does have abiotic issues such as compaction and there are competing species (Arborvitae) right next to the tree, but this is common in the urban environment.

Is this Fusicoccum or Nectria Canker? I really don't know. I am wondering if any you guys have had experience with something like this?

Attachments

• 096.JPG
    096.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 099.JPG
    099.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 101.JPG
    101.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 75
I've seen similar, didn't know what it was. When you cut it open at the bad spot, I'm guessing the grain will be funky like a burl almost (or a bunion) ;) .

Consumption....

Really, most abnormalities like that are generally summed up as canker where I live. But too many time the diagnosis is attributed too generally.

I''l bet before this thread is over you will get a correct diagnosis from someone more experienced in that area.

I've seen similar growths on live oak and sand live oak in this area, but without the crown dieback. Its possible the two are not related. On the trees I've disected, there seems to be no decay nor loss of strength associated with this abnormality, although there is the "appearance" of decay, hence the inevitable question from the homeowner; "Can you guarantee that it won't fall?"

Truth is, these growths have not been studied enough to give an accurate diagnosis and treatment (if any is even needed). Possible causes are insects, viruses, mechanical damage, latent buds, among others.

I'd suggest an autopsy after removal and see what there is to see inside. :/:

As far as I can tell, a canker is usually more of an open wound on the tree and is also associated from one cause or another to decay. I have seen this kind of growth on some white oaks and live oaks and usually it is more from a physical wound that has healed deforming the cambium and bark. Once cut there is an oddity to the grain, but no visible strength loss due to it.. I often find this in trees (Blue, White and Valley Oaks) where a fence has been attached to it at one time or a telegraph wire if it is higher up the bole. In live Oak, this is a common deformity due to Mistletoe die back, leaving almost a burl. But even then.. If the tree has prevailed, no structural damage. I have seen in cases where the tree has been rubbed by equipment a few times and healed over the same result.. So I would feel it would be more of an external injury than internal healed over. But I don't know much about ash and its growth process.

I would also add that looking at your pics of the tree.. that the deformity looks like it is where the tree starts to bend or lean ..
This can also cause deformity due to the stress of the lean in the tree. Like a weak spot that healed over later. If that makes any sense.
I could be barkin up the wrong tree.. LMAO

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the input guys. I can't wait to slice it open and see what it looks like on the inside. It is just weird to me because the bark itself on the growth is so much thicker and the furrows are so much deeper than the rest of the tree. Also the bark on the growth easily peels off, where as the rest of the tree is what you would expect on a living tree.

I had asked the homeowner about the history of the tree, and he said the tree was not planted and it is roughly 30 years old (the homeowner has lived there before the tree had been there). He said there was never a fence or anything touching the tree. But all I can do is take his word on it.

I too believe the crown die back has a different culprit than this abnormality on the bole. Like I said I can't wait to cut it open to take a look.

Ive seen threads on this type stuff over at ASS anon.
Anyhow id say the tree got wind swept.

Ash trees that look like that here usually had some sort of borer problem and then compartmentalized them.

Anyhow id say the tree got wind swept.

That'd be my best guess, too, except that type of injury usually shows up a bit 'longer' if you know what I mean ? It's too isolated to be a wind injury.
Didja slice 'er open yet ???
PIX !

old mistletoe infestations do that to our white oaks here. if you cut into them the wood looks like swiss cheese. curious to see how yours comes out

I'm glad somebody finally said compartmentalize.:/:

I dropped a ton of white ash today. A couple of them had identical "injuries". I autopsied a couple, and didn't see anything abnormal underneath, just plain old wood.:?

Back