McCulloch Pro Mac 610

sawinredneck

Treehouser
A buddy whos Grandpa passed recently, found this in the garage. He wants to make it run because it means something to him.
Got it all running with little effort. It was missing the clutch and rim sprocket. He managed to track them down and brought it to me to finish off.
Seemed eas enough, there is a thin washer that goes on first, then the clutch and sprocket go on gently (outboard clutch) and tighten the nut on the crank. No biggie.
Go to put it back together and the cover wont go on. Something is missing or broken, the chain brake wont stay dissengaged.
Moving on for now, I bypased that for the time to see what else might not work.
Go to tighten the chain, it tightens up, then loostens up then tightens up as I set the adjuster:? Finally get it set right then it wont move at all? Jacked with it and jacked with it, finally fired it up and ran it. Chain spun fine, but the clutch just didn't sound right at all, a funny tinny sound?
Any ideas what I might have missed?

I don't know if this will help but here are some pics .

Attachments

• old saws 024.jpg
    old saws 024.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 204
  • old saws 025.jpg
    old saws 025.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 201
  • old saws 027.jpg
    old saws 027.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 202
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Got pic's?

I can get Jerry, and may!!

Thanks Al, I think the hook on the spring isn't catching the top locking bar (bad description but the pics helped a bunch)
I will try and get some pics up of the clutch and see if there is something else I missed.

Damn clean saw BTW Al!!

I just want you 'tards to know that I can't let him read this thread now, he'll be jelous!!

Sorry, no pics tonight!

The clutch goes like this,from the engine out --shim washer then drum assembley clutch-nut . If it rattles too bad most likely the bearing is a little loose but actually I think this model might have a built in rattle .

The other pic was my sons but this is what one looks like that's had the pizz ran out it .

Attachments

• old saws 002.jpg
    old saws 002.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 169
Thanks a bunch guys!!!
I got the chain brake back together and working.
Ran it a bit this afternoon, thing was like a smokehouse!! Took off the spark arrestor and cleand it. Ran a little better but still smoked like a banshee! Filed up the chain and made a cut. 8" Redbud, only took about five minuetes to cut it!
I think it's got 1/4" chain on it, I had to use my smallest file to file with (for the 200t) and I wonder if it doesn't have a .325" rim sprocket on it?
Just throwing out thoughts.

umm, no. If it had a .325 sprocket then it wouldn't be able to turn the 1/4" chain. But you got the file size right. ;)

umm, no. If it had a .325 sprocket then it wouldn't be able to turn the 1/4" chain. But you got the file size right. ;)

It doesn't turn it well at all Brian! Chain gets slack then tight. I couldn't hardly turn the chain to file it!

My saw had the original 3/8" bar and sprocket. It came stock with 3/8" lo-pro chain...

I switched to 3/8" .050 33RC

I don't have the saw anymore... but I still have the original Mac bar for it Andy if you're interested...

Gary

Unless somebody fiddled with that thing it would have originally been equipted with a standard 3/8 chain .

If it smokes like it's burning pine knots more than likely the diaphragm is getting funky on the oiler . One of the short comings on an otherwise dependable heavy old saw . Well that is heavy for 60 ccs' .

If and when they get to sucking chain lube into the crankcase in time it will plug up the screen which will in time carbon up the exhaust side of the piston . Not to worry though ,these are tuff old buzzards and will run with a screwed up cylinder /piston longer than any saw I've ever seen . They will die but it takes a lot to kill one .

Well color me a moron!! I wasn't thinking/paying attention when I put it together. No clutch bearing!! I know, I know:(
I just left him a message to look for that and a new diaphram for the oiler. I'll see how that goes.
I can't believe I dropped the ball like that!

As they say,chit happens .Not a big deal . I only know perhaps one person that ever said for example he never put a chain on backwards .My reply to him was that evidently he hadn't been around saws too much .

You aren't the first nor will you be the last to forget the bearing either .

Well, it seems he has exhausted his resources getting parts.
Anyone have a suggestion on where to get the clutch bearing and oiler diaphram?

Fayetteville equipment repair .They are on the net. Bob's lawnmower repair,Maryland NY .

I've never seen just the oiler diaphragm for sale but I found a guy on e-bay that had 900 pumps --around 10 bucks at the time . There is usually somebody that has them for twenty .

Another source could be Randy Duncan,Seamans Ohio .Sells parts on E-bay .

Look up Duncans engine repair Ohio

The bearing should be a standard metric caged roller .Less than 10 bucks I imagine .

If you can't find them give a shout and I'll look up the parts numbers and cross reference them .

Well color me a moron!! I wasn't thinking/paying attention when I put it together. No clutch bearing!! I know, I know:(
I just left him a message to look for that and a new diaphram for the oiler. I'll see how that goes.

Wait till you leave the gas cap off after a fill up and turn around with the saw and gas splashing ever where and it lands right next to your fire :O:\:.

Getting old is :|:

Not meaning to derail the thread... But a lil share from a couple days ago. I was next door at our other house and I heard an old school chainsaw sound... I just had to go look .. Neighbor was running a Mac 10-10 out in his yard.. Funny how you can just hear these things.

I don't Andy... shoot me a PM... :)

I replaced the oil pump on the one I had with a NOS one off of ebay. those ol' 605/610/650's will sling some out when set to max!!!

Gary

Back