Pollarding and picture critique

darkstar

Rockclimber/ treeclimber
These beautiful sycamores in south france have pollarded well.
Ive been meening to post umm up.

Attachments

• france 2008 084.jpg
    france 2008 084.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 120
  • france 2008 086.jpg
    france 2008 086.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 123
  • france 2008 090.jpg
    france 2008 090.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 122
  • france 2008 087.jpg
    france 2008 087.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 121
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
same thing

This tree is barely standing.
It looked to have been topped a hundred times.

Attachments

• france 2008 127.jpg
    france 2008 127.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 119
  • france 2008 125.jpg
    france 2008 125.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 119
  • france 2008 126.jpg
    france 2008 126.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 117
pollard heads

more

Attachments

• france 2008 096.jpg
    france 2008 096.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 117
  • france 2008 101.jpg
    france 2008 101.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 116
Those first few pictures in Southern France are beautiful examples of proper pollarding. It's a great treatment for certain species if done properly. Still haven't seen it successful here in the tropics; have seen several 'claims' of pollarding but was merely topping in disguise :/:.

jp:D

The one in the hand was pretty bad.
Thus, its use as firewood.

Hey, those are London Plane Trees on that side of the pond ;)

You see lots of good pollards in the south of France. Sycamores will take well to pollarding. So will horse chestnut and limes (linden)

How does one "start" a pollard. Merely just make a topping cut? I've got a box elder I wanna do.

basicly cut it where you want it to stay when the tree first gets to the height you want and then to the same place every year thereafter

I have a couple customers that like the look, and the trees do have to be controlled in their growth (both fruitless mulberry) for their location.. They come right back and provide wonderful shade with out getting out of hand ... So it is necessary in these two cases so I see the reasoning... And it makes for a nice check for me:D

The tree in spain and france would way way out grow their location if they were not topped;)
I meen pollarded.
Also no,,, you cant just wack it over and over ,you got to treat it like a dang grape vine just snip off the sucker growth really close to the head every year or so...
Its takes time , but it makes money and it works.
MB the bigger trees dont look so bad in winter .
The heads are relocated higher up every so often.
You can barely ;well being a tree man you can ;tell where they have been snipped.:P

I have one customer with a large crape myrtle that I've been pollarding for about 8 years or so. It puts on about 6' to 8' of new growth every year. I'll get some pics next time we cut it. She loves the look, and the new flush of growth along with the abundant blooms every spring.

I have probably a dozen cutomers that do them. One Sycamore and the rest are fruitless mulberry. All have been topped and then kept at that height. None started properly.

I heard NAPA valley is slap full of pollarding.
money that keeps coming back at cha

Yep, there's not a ton of em in Napa but I've seen a few. I've heard the difference is the age of when the treatment is started. Obviously less decay if you start the heads when the tree is still young.

jp:D

The one in the hand was pretty bad.
Thus, its use as firewood.
I remember reading somewhere that pollarding was actually started as a source of firewood ? Lotsa kindling or something ?
Maybe it's 'cause I got bored, but more & more I like seeing landscape items that have been manipulated (deformed?).
Cool pix.

Back