Kids Out Hunting

rfwoodvt

TreeHouser
My Lead Climber, Jake, and I took our kids out for the annual youth deer hunting weekend.

Both Kids Scored a buck by 08:30. They were hunting opposite sides of the same knoll about 150 yards apart.

Jakes 15 year old son shot a 110# spike with a .44 mag out of a Thompson Contender. One shot through the lungs wentdown down 50 yards behind them in the picture.

My 11 yo Daughter shot a 135# 3x4 using a .243 out of a NE-Arms Handirifle. One shot behind the scapula, dropped like a pancake.

Great Day for a Hunt! 8)

Attachments

• kidhunt.jpg
    kidhunt.jpg
    730.3 KB · Views: 13
Very cool! Don't hear much about kids getting to do things like that, much less get to see great pics of it!!

Hope Grandpa is still up to it when Bubba is ready, I don't have the stomache to gut one (I'm a wuss).

Very cool!

I havent had any luck this year. Ive been out bowhunting a bit.
Our first firearm season opened this morning, but I decided I will hunt the second season which starts Thanksgiving week.

Bucks are always cool, but I'll take a doe any day as the freezer is getting low.

Your daughter will probably never let Jake's son forget who's buck was bigger. :)

I don't have the stomache to gut one (I'm a wuss).

I have a week stomach too, but it aint that bad really. Here you freeze your ass off so badly during the hunt, you look forward to warming up by field dressing. :)

Dont wanna derail, but heres a cool picture going around the hunting forum I frequent.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't have the stomache to gut one (I'm a wuss).

Can't say it's my favorite thing either but given the choice of 2 hours watching someone fumble through it or 15 minutes to get it done, I'll volunteer every time.

Great opportunity for the kids to learn though. I used to have the sink or swin attitude handing them the knife then saying "go to it!!"

There is nothing fun about a youngster trying not to york :big-tongue2:thier breakfast while they suffer through it.

Now I ask them if they want me to show them and I'll walk them through it, stopping to ask them to reach in and hold or cut something. Frequently I'll offer to let them take over from there or have me continue.

I always try to finish it by having them reach in at least once to make sure we got everything.

Wouldn't be hunting if they didn't get a little blood on thier hands.

Also, I ask to use thier knife, makes it a trophy knife for them!

What a proud day for dad! My daughter just got her hunting licence this year so I hope to get her out deer hunting by the end of the month!

Cool pics!!!

HC

That's awesome! Good for you keeping the hunting tradition alive. :thumbup: I still remember shooting my first buck when I was 10 years old. I was on top of the world, bragging to all my buds at school... 8)

congrats on the harvest! awesome kids.nice to see kids doing something wholesome and productive instead of standing around town getting high and holding Obama signs.

That should feed the family for a while. Awesome shooters!

Can you all make us some venison jerky?:D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wouldn't be hunting if they didn't get a little blood on thier hands.

Also, I ask to use thier knife, makes it a trophy knife for them!

Of course this also goes with the adults I mentor in the field too! They definitley have to get into things!

One thing I tell the brand new successful hunter is that we must pause to thank the deer for giving his life and the Great Spirit for providing for our needs.

I think everyone should harvest thier own food. It's a good thing for children, and adults, to understand where it comes from and at what price.

I'm thankful that the Nuge is reall putting an effort into just that sort of teaching!

Anyhoo, after the no-longer-virgin-virgin-hunter has had thier moment of thanksgiving I tell them it is time to enter into the ranks of a true hunter.

With serious voice, in hushed tones I lift up the liver and heart, "It is time for you to really become a hunter and take a bite from either his heart or liver. Which do you want!?"

The look on thier faces are hysterical!

My daughter caught on pretty quick and gave me this shot...unfortunatley the lens was a bit fogged over.

Lastly, althought I love my daughter daughter deerly (lol) a good arguemnt could be made that I but really love my venison more!

Jammin, Jerky?! well maybe I can send some old stuff from my freezer!

Attachments

• P1010189.JPG
    P1010189.JPG
    726.8 KB · Views: 3
  • P1010199.JPG
    P1010199.JPG
    698.2 KB · Views: 3
I just got done harvesting the meat from a small buck we killed for destroying trees and harming crops.

The dog will be enjoying that 40lbs of meat, a several pounds of fat, and the front shoulers.

Back