Making Chains

brendonv

Tree Hugger
I have been thinking about making my own chains for a while now, main reason because it's hard to find a chain without the kickback crap. My regular saw guy really never has any, and I just don't feel like driving elsewhere.

I understand I'll need a spool of chain, a chain breaker, and spinner. When watching my saw guy make chains in the past, he has pre-packaged...I guess what you would call a "master link" (from my dirtbike world) usually colored. Do you need to purchase these, or can you just use the link you punched out to connect the chain together?

Also, on the "big" saws I have nothing smaller than 20", all the way up to 32". Is a full chisel chain better, or semi chisel?

You want full chisel, all the time, in my opinion. The semi-chisel, or "chipper" chain sucks. You may want a skip tooth or semi-skip chain, is that what you meant? As mentioned, you should get master links with the roll. I've been considering making some of my own chains lately, I can never seem to get what I want locally. Either it's the wrong gauge, or the wrong loop size. None of the dealers seem to spin chain anymore. Can't say as I blame them.

side note, where's the best place to get a roll of RSLK?:D

I prefer the Stihl RS (or even the RSLK square filed). I run full comp on the 24" bars and full skip on the longer bars. There's no noticable difference in cutting speed or performance between the two styles so I'll probably just stick with full skip for everything after I use up that roll of full comp.

Oregon chain is cheaper and more popular, but IMO it doesn't hold an edge as long and it seems to get eaten up quickly when I file it. It also stretches more and needs tightening more often. I'll stick with the more expensive Stihl chain because it's cheaper to use in the long run.

Every roll of chain comes with plenty of extra master links. There's 6-8 bags in every roll and I have a couple bags left over from each roll I've bought.

Carl, I'm not talking about square chisel. Around here, semi-chisel is called chipper, and some tout it as being a good dirty work chain, I'd rather file full round chisel than deal with it's slowness. I do prefer square chisel, but it's not for everyone, or every situation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cool, it's alot of $$ out front but seems better in the longrun. I'm also picking up 5gal of 2-stroke and bar oil.

I buy my own chain and splice my own loops, its easy. I bought my set up from Bailey's Two recommendations, practice breaking and splicing on an old chain first and get one of adhesive chain measuring guides and place some sort of clear laminate over it as it will shred with continued use.

I have all spinner and breaker. I was just setting up my work bench to get started making my own chains. I am really becoming fond of the new oregon grind that came out last year I believe. Seems to hold up as well as stihl.

Stihl seems to be sharper out of the box.

If I were you, I'd get regular/non skip chain.

Your 46 wouldn't mind a full skip on the 32", but it's not worth it IMO. I have ran a 36" on a 44 back in the early days. It wasn't fast, but it wasn't hard to run either (I didn't have to hold some weight off the chain so it wouldn't bog down).

From my brief experience with oregon and stihl, oregon doesn't seem to have alot of Meat, and stihl also seems to last longer.

If I were you, I'd get regular/non skip chain.

Your 46 wouldn't mind a full skip on the 32", but it's not worth it IMO. I have ran a 36" on a 44 back in the early days. It wasn't fast, but it wasn't hard to run either (I didn't have to hold some weight off the chain so it wouldn't bog down).

The 46 mostly wears the 28" now that I have the 361 with the 20". It actually has a 20" right now, I'd like to get antother, one with 20", one with the bigger 28 or 32.

Carl, I'm not talking about square chisel. Around here, semi-chisel is called chipper, and some tout it as being a good dirty work chain, I'd rather file full round chisel than deal with it's slowness. I do prefer square chisel, but it's not for everyone, or every situation.

The semi chisel or chipper chain works better in some hardwoods and if you are cutting lots of brush. We used to use it when we fought fire in Southern California.

I use Oregon 72JGX. I like it because it files the easiest. WoodsmanPro is hardened and is hard to hand file. Stihl climbing chain is kind of a pain to sharpen when it is brand new. I sometimes use a smaller file at first.

Did you just call me a west coast Houser? If so, do you know where Mass is?:lol:

You asked where the best place was to get it. I recommend a west cost houser, specifically PNW and those well above the average height.

I too prefer Stihl's RS. Not a round/chipper tooth kinda guy.

The only skip chain I have is for my 72" and it's full skip. If there's no advantage on shorter bars then there's certainly no advantage sharpening twice as many cutters.

Oregon sucks the hind tit imo.

I'd go semi skip on the longer bars and full comp on the shorter say up to 25". I don't time cuts or nothing but the full comp(which I've always called full house, but that's another story lol) seems faster to me. If I was ordering just one roll I'd go semi-skip, full comp is alot of frigging filing.

i mounted the chain and breaker on the bench and put pegs in the bench for each length of chain i need. the chart didnt lastlong but this is good, roll it out, hook chain on a peg, pull it tight and break where crosses breaker

Full comp on anything over 24" is nuts in my opinion. I have sharpened way to many cutters already.

Aha! I read you wrong, I thought you meant the comment was coming from a west coast Houser, instead, you meant I had to talk to a Sasquatch.:lol:

Haha yes indeed. He's been known to help Houser's who otherwise suffer their Stealerships.

I bought a 440, 660, and 200T one day a while back. I asked how much a roll of chain would cost since I was buying this other stuff. I was told $429 or somesuch. They were paying $289. I didn't go for it.

I much prefer to make my own loops.

Which reminds me... I have to order some more skip for the big saw.

Back