splice the fly

• Thread starter Treeslayer
  • Start date
  • Replies 12
  • Views 3K
I disagree, Ive done both and the fly was certainly more of a pain. For me anyway.

If you cut yours, Im assuming its used rope or even well used?

Used rope doesnt splice easily no matter what the construction.

You're the first that has said the fly was worse that I've heard.

You did the triple braid and not the double braid splice?

Triple braid? I dunno? It was the manufacturers recommended splice, and it was a real pain. It was like 5 years ago I spliced it, and sucked so bad I told myself "never again!" I stuck to it too, I had Nick splice some for me about a year ago, I wanted nothing to do with it.

Tachyon was no more difficult than velocity, but I consider myself a novice with double braid. Can do it, but not real proficiently.

Ive been thinking about doing some 16 strand only because its been a while.

Im confused! Triple braid?

Again I used the manufacturers recommendations

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you cut yours, Im assuming its used rope or even well used?

very used. I just want it as a backup for low work. I cut about 15' off. the spliced end of course.:cry: now its 135'.

I'm gonna buy a new rope, have not decided what yet.

Nick, can you splice the fly? I cut mine.

Sure can, but I pretty much hate it for 2 reasons. One- it's sortof counter-intuitive. Two- it's ugly. It is the splice I charge the most money for.

Yeah he can. It's a PITA splice, but the Tachyon is worse.

Not for me. Tachyon takes more patience, but Fly is very ucky. At least the Tachyon finishes up very sexily!

I've got to disagree on this one. Though it can be said that used rope is generally more difficult to splice that a new rope of the same type, your statement was a little firmer. Most single braids, even very old ones, splice very easily. Just about any used 16 strand arbo line can be spliced with only a little more work. I don't have much trouble with used double braid rigging line.

Ah! Tachyon is a TRIPLE braid, not a double braid.

I've heard this said by a few people, but I don't like the term "Triple Braid" for Tachyon. I think it is a bit misleading. The inner core isn't even braided, so there are still only 2 braids. That inner core serves the same purpose as the core of 16 strand arborist lines- but we don't call those double braids? I know I'm being nit-picky here, but Tachyon is double braid with an additional inner-core.

I'm gonna buy a new rope, have not decided what yet.

What was it you liked about the Fly? I bet we can find you another rope that you'll like better.

I'm guessing the other end of the rope is still fairly new?

I'd bet money on it.

love
nick

Hey, how's the rope coming, grasshoppa? 200, 150, 120 and 120, eh? leaves ya 10 feet for some of what the splices consume...all splices tighties......but not whities:roll:

I haven't heard from Bishop about the Tachyon.....

Back