Ms 660

arborworks1

Treehouser
My 660 wears a 42inch bar from time to time to cut up larger oaks and pines. Am I overworking the saw running that bar length on it? I have changed to a HO oiler. I run skip chain on both bars(in normally has a 28 on it).

I have been wanting to get an 880 but am not sure I would use it enough to warrant the outlay of said cash.

Nope... 066/660's out here in the PNW see bars 42" or bigger all the time. We are cuttin' mainly in the big softwoods... but the saws are not overworked in the least. :)

Gary

Like Gary said, the 660 is fine with a 42" I think they run perfectly with a 36" and that's what mine has on it most of the time. With a 42" in hard wood, stay with full skip and give it it's time to cut. But it'll do it. I don't think you'd need the 880 unless you're always in stuff that big. I almost think 880's fill a timber niche that doesn't exist anymore. Beyond milling, you don't see them much. The 660 is the workhorse for a lot of reasons.

I ran a 660 with a 48" bar on it this summer, and was surprised it didn't bog down. Although, we were cutting green soft cottonwood, so that may have helped things.

Most 66's around here are using 36" . There are very few of the 088 sized saws in these parts .Myself and a few trimmers are about the only ones that have any that size .The Stihl dealer says they only sell one about every 2-3 years .

Don't get me started on bar lengths.:D

My 660EHP currently resides with a 32" and I like the way it cuts with that. I've got a 36" if I need it but usually don't. Having the shorter bar on helps the saw get used more and the more I use that beast the more I love it!

I also have a 36", but a 20" is what's normally on it.

I don't see a probem with a 42", lordy I ran a 36" on a 44 for a while before I got the 88.

I'd rather have 2 stock, retail priced 66's than a single 88. The only reason I have an 88 is I got a screaming deal on it.

With a 21" on the 88 we're looking at 9.4-.5 seconds through 24" green oak with a factory chain, haven't timed the 66 though.

I have an 088, but don't use it much. People see my 076 sitting on the floor and fumble for words, so I offer to show them something even larger....I like watching them try to catch their breath, spittle forming at their lips. :) The 090 only gets shown to the more inormed.

The MS660 could fill a gap in the lineup...

Just found these pics I had from an old job....

Attachments

• Ginja Momi7.JPG
    Ginja Momi7.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Ginja Momi10.JPG
    Ginja Momi10.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Ginja Momi3.JPG
    Ginja Momi3.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 68
ive never met a tree I couldn't cut with a 660. If I had an 088 I would probably never use it.

Haha....wish I could stake a claim to the tiniest underbed, but that was just a ledge to rest the tip of the bar on when starting the back cut. The long bar bows bad.

What length bar? My 41" is fine w/o a starting cut, the 72" sags like a mofo.

Fwiw, I just cut a kerf with a smaller saw and lay the 72"er in it.

It's an old hardnose metric bar..must be like 60"...seems kind of thin. Bows like a mofo too. I had it on the gear driven 090 torquer, which has 1/2" chain, and grabs bad. The plan was to start at the tip of the saw on the ledge, and walk into the cut.

I tied to convert the 090 to 3/8" chain, with a home-made arrangement, since you can't find sprockets for those. The end of the story was lots of little pieces of metal on the ground.

Run as long as a bar as you want to,
you'll see how the saw runs and whether or not your satisfied with it's performance.

If you have an 66, no need for an 88. Unless you're pumpkin hunting daily.
Just double cut it, or get a longer bar.

Or do like this guy with a 18 or 20 inch bar.

Somebody was talking about sights in another thread, never tried this.

Attachments

• IMG_0381.JPG
    IMG_0381.JPG
    399.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0382.JPG
    IMG_0382.JPG
    354.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0384.JPG
    IMG_0384.JPG
    382.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0387.JPG
    IMG_0387.JPG