Formula 1

Certainly was a nail biter on the last lap.Did anyone see the Ferrari pit crew's faces when Massa crossed the line then realised he hadn't won the championship?

See massa crying like a baby when he realized it was'nt his? hilarious.
I thought the brazilians showed really bad form Booing Hamilton.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The look on Massa's dad's face was just utterly shattering. The Ferrari boys jumped too soon, hell of a year for all. Lots of fun races and incidents to keep everyone guessing.
I am REALLY looking forward to next year; reduced aero packages, slick tires, no traction control, no ABS, should be fun!

I wonder what the young bucks like Vettel and Glock will be like with a few races now under their belt.

Figures Coulthard would go out in a crash, has he even finished a race this year? Poor guy. not. I wonder if Ralf will get a seat next year.

"Last corner, of the last lap, of the last race!" AND by ONE point!! That was incredible!!

indeedly doodley. It all hinged on rain falling with 4 laps to go and a driver NOT changing to wets to finish up, in the LAST corner he didnt have the pace and was passed for 5th place, enough to give the now 5th place driver enough points to finish first in the season stats. :)

I think Massa needs help with his wet weather driving, Louis is a hell of a driver and will get better with time and maturity. He still seems to go balls out in deep braking passes a bit much for my liking. I think the next few years will be entertaining, as much as I like the Schumacher era it led to a few boring seasons of follow the leader.

I also was rooting for Massa but more as a team fan than the individual driver. One other thing I thought was nice, seeing Louis' girlfriend (Nicole from Pussy Cat Dolls) actually seemed to know what was going on and showed some great emotion in the pits, unlike so many of the vapid wives and girlfriends that get their pit passes each weekend then sit and have that pouty look on their face.

I think Massa needs help with his wet weather driving, Louis is a hell of a driver and will get better with time and maturity. He still seems to go balls out in deep braking passes a bit much for my liking. I think the next few years will be entertaining, as much as I like the Schumacher era it led to a few boring seasons of follow the leader.

I also was rooting for Massa but more as a team fan than the individual driver. One other thing I thought was nice, seeing Louis' girlfriend (Nicole from Pussy Cat Dolls) actually seemed to know what was going on and showed some great emotion in the pits, unlike so many of the vapid wives and girlfriends that get their pit passes each weekend then sit and have that pouty look on their face.

Yeah, it was nice to see how she leapt about like a loony on the pit lane when he came in.

I think the next few seasons are going to be very exciting - The smaller teams cars seem to be getting better all the time, and there is some fanatastic talent now driving.
Hear you on Hamiltons driving, he struggles to make his tyres last the distance, and the Mclaren does'nt seem to handle as well as it should - The Torro Rosso cars were obviously quicker on worn tyres.

I also enjoyed watching Kubica's long term strategy. Kind of How Alain Prost won his championships.

I think that although Shumacher was an outstanding driver, he never really faced much tough competition on the grid. now, the grid seems packed with great drivers.

PS, I never really liked Shumacher, until I did a little reading on him. Turns out he is the highest donator to charity in the sporting world, giving over $100 million to various charities in his last 4 years.

Love him or hate him, everythingabout Schumacher was/is great. He is a great man in so many ways!

I love my Ferrari's, I think McLarens time has passed, they are bent on keepeing what they developed early on, I'd like to see Honda really make a good show in the next few years.
Honda in F1, then Toyota kick in NASCAR, that would set the whole world on it's ear!

Yikes, some BIG changes going on for Formula 1 coming up.

"Formula One's governing body moves to slash costs in troubled times
December 12, 2008 - 11:51 am

By: John Leicester, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

PARIS - Formula One's governing body announced a series of new cost-cutting measures Friday for the crisis-hit sport, including longer-lasting engines, limits on expensive testing and an off-the-shelf cheaper engine for smaller teams from 2010.

The sweeping steps, which the FIA said were unanimously backed by Formula One teams, come as the sport's major players - automakers - are reeling from the global financial crisis. Honda announced this month that it is pulling out of F1 and Super Aguri quit in April.

The FIA said the first batch of changes for the 2009 season will save the larger teams, backed by manufacturers, about one-third of the money that they spent in 2008.

"Savings for independent teams will be even greater," the motor sport body said in a statement.

The FIA said its World Motor Sport Council agreed Friday at a meeting in Monaco to the measures. For 2009, they include:

-A doubling of engine life, with each driver limited to a maximum of eight engines over the season. Each engine must now be used for at least three races, compared to the previous two. Teams will also be allowed four engines for testing. Engines will be limited to 18,000 revolutions per minute.

-Cheaper engines for independent teams, costing about half as much as in 2008.

-During the season, teams will only be able to test their cars at Grand Prix weekends during scheduled practices.

-Limits on the use of wind tunnels, which are employed to improve cars' aerodynamics.

-Teams' factories to close for six weeks per year.

-Reduced manpower for teams during race weekends.

Changes to be introduced after next season will be even more radical, as the FIA seeks to ensure the sport's long-term survival. Races could even be shortened to save money, and refuelling will be banned from 2010 - which could dramatically alter the spectacle for fans.

Although details have yet to be worked out, the measure was prompted by the heavy cost of transporting bulky equipment such as refuelling rigs. Experts believe there will be more overtaking in races as a result, although it is unclear exactly what the impact on racing strategy will be.

Every part of the car will also be examined to determine whether it is a performance differentiator, and some parts could be standardized for all teams.

From 2010, independent teams will be supplied with engines for less than five million euros (C$8.32 million) per team per season. The engines will come either from an independent supplier or from the teams that manufacture their own engines. If an independent supplier is chosen, the deal will be signed no later than next week, the FIA said.

If such a reform proves practical, all teams will use the same transmission.

Race weekends will look radically different with the ban on refuelling and a ban on warmers used to heat up tires, so they give better grip.

Market research will be conducted before a decision is made on whether to make races shorter. The FIA said it would also work with F1 teams on "the possibility of an entirely new power train for 2013," which would aim to be more energy efficient."

Another dose with info about KERS, something I dont quite understand yet, going to go do some digging for info. :)
http://www.formula1.com/news/features/2008/11/8741.html

[edit] Use in motor sport

[edit] FIA
Max Mosley of the FIA has announced that all cars [9] will become hybrid by 2013, along with other changes to the vehicles. The governing body of international motor sport, the FIA, has allowed the use of 60 kW "Kinetic Energy Recovery Systems" (KERS), in the regulations for the 2009 Formula One season.[10][11]

Energy can either be stored as mechanical energy (as in a flywheel) or can be stored as electrical energy (as in a battery or supercapacitor).[12]

I'd like to see Honda really make a good show in the next few years.

Andy, guess that you didn't see it on the news, or maybe it wasn't on over there so much yet. Hold on fella, but Honda is withdrawing from Formula 1 racing, to save themselves 300 million.

To some small extent, it is probably recent performance results related as well.

yup. Barrichello and Trulli are looking for a ride for next year.

Hold on fella, but Honda is withdrawing from Formula 1 racing, to save themselves 300 million.
To some small extent, it is probably recent performance results related as well.

Wow, big news I had not heard. Paul, I wonder if Nascar and NHRA will be posting similar news. With the big trouble the American car companies are in, you would think so.

Gigi, NASCAR had announced some cost cutting measures earlier.

Some of those Formula 1 changes seem strange.

Wonder why they don't just put a ceiling on spending, like the salary cap in other sports.
It might make for better parity.

Since I'm about 8-9 hrs. ahead of you, timewise, and just read that Schumacher said: "No way, I'm retired", I think that qualifies as the latest news:)

Back