CYPINE

Bodean

Cali dreamer
So here's today Cypine, Pine volunteer in a very mature cypress.

I'll let the pictures paint the picture.
Pine had 17 rings, and tapped into below grade.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    285.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    338.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    386.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    418.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    376.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    413 KB · Views: 7
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    473.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    356.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    393.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 028.JPG
    028.JPG
    483.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 8
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We fought to keep it as a novelty,
but it had the road side roots trenched about ten years ago.
That's what spawned the rot and decay.

Rated out as a 10, Lawyers said Laters.

Hell that's cool. Funny the timing here as I just saw a weird naturally grafted tree today, pics in the 'how'd it go today' thread.

Oh yah my pics aren't nearly as good as yours. I'm just not a photographer.

Last edited:
Definitely a first for my eyes, too... ain't seen nuthin' quite like THAT.

=)

A lot of the cypresses along the rivers down here have other species of trees growing out of them. I guess the seeds and soil are deposited by flood waters.

But nothing like what you've shown. Very cool.

Anyone have an idea of the growth process? Did the pine start at the top of the cypress stump and grow down? If so, I didn;t think that trees grew down. Or did it start at the bottom and grow up? If it did that, how did it get light to photosynthesize?

James, it started at the top as you can see in the first picture of the tree after it was felled. Yes, roots grow down. :P The trunk wood and root wood are easily identifiable so the starting point is probably about where the roots meet the trunk. ;)

Pretty common in the rainforests of the PNWet to see a western hemlock or a red cedar growing from the top of a snag or stump. Also you'll often see what appears to be a patch of transplanted ground cover way up there...salal, oxalis, red huckleberry.

It gets really cool when you see a hemlock that started on top of a stump or log a hundred years ago where the nursery has long since rotted away to nothing. They look like an octopus standing on tiptoes with a tree growing out of it's head.

That's a great example, and fine pics Deva.

James, it started at the top as you can see in the first picture of the tree after it was felled. Yes, roots grow down. :P The trunk wood and root wood are easily identifiable so the starting point is probably about where the roots meet the trunk. ;)

Yeah, I was looking at the pic upside down. I thought it had grown sapwood all the way down the cypress. I see now that it has roots going down.

Any tree, or plant for that matter, that gets started by natural regeneration versus being planted by us can be termed a volunteer.

Thanks B. I'm not real smart, just good looking.

Well, then!!

Just don't be asking for kisses.....:big-bounce:

nice one, Deva. Seen lots of trees growing out of old stumps, but not one quite like that, from that high up, and totally inside the host....

Back