Sounds like a chainsaw

• Thread starter sothere
  • Start date
  • Replies 27
  • Views 4K
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dXVRdSbKDT8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dXVRdSbKDT8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

They sure did make them .Some model of Saab I think 3 cylinder .

I may be mistaked but I believe it had a "mixer " carb or carbs like a modern 2 cycle outboard engine .Mixed the gas and oil in the carb by an injection process of some sort rather than having to pre mix like a saw.

People that had them liked them I guess .

Subaru made one as well. A friend has one parked in his shed, but says he won't sell it. Two cylinders and the oil has it's own tank.

Environmentalist would likley whine about them .Chances are they aren't real good on gas milage .If they were cooled properly they most likely would be like an outboard motor though and run forever . Something that still amazes me . Outboards and Lawn Boy mowers seem to be timeless and indestructable .:?

I think you get about 2X the power per cc than a four stroke as they fire twice as often. However I once read that cutting a lawn with a 2 stroke mower produced as much polutants as driving a car 100 miles:O

Thats why they want to get rid of 2 stroke saws............

Last edited:
They might say that but I for one can't believe it especially if you would see the rattle trap jalopies in this neck of the woods . I know ,I know ,I'm a fine one to talk .:/:

They sure did make them .Some model of Saab I think 3 cylinder .

I may be mistaked but I believe it had a "mixer " carb or carbs like a modern 2 cycle outboard engine .Mixed the gas and oil in the carb by an injection process of some sort rather than having to pre mix like a saw.

People that had them liked them I guess .

You're not Mistaken. Saab 92, 3 cylinder, 2 stroke, mixer carb and a really neat coasting devise, that meant that when you took your foot off the gas pedal, the engine would disengage and the car would coast like a bicycle until you pressed the pedal again. You could save a LOT of gas in hilly terrain, by coasting downhill and also shift gears without using the clutch.

This free coasting thing was likely done for a reason other than being able to coast or free wheel . As I just learned recently most two cycles do not respond well with an overhauling load applied to them .

Back in the kart days they did in fact run direct drive applications IE no clutch .They ran ok but had to be raced differently than with a clutch because they would load the crankcase full of fuel when they backed off going into a turn which could have bad results with the innards of the engine .

Recently on the Rocky special 038 Mag I souped up it is responding about the same because of my running the comp high and running on the "edge" regarding exhaust area opened and blowdown time which can cause problems getting the revs down when the throttle is chopped because of the overhauling effect of the flywheel .

Speculation on by part of course but I wouldn't doubt this is why Saab went with this "free wheel " method .

Without those coasting two cycles, maybe nobody would have ever thought of automatic transmissions.

Attachments

• roth2.jpg
    roth2.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 31
Didn't the Russians make a 2-stroke car also?

Are you perhaps thinking of the East German : Trabant ( nicknamed Trabi) or the also East German: Wartburg.
The Wartburg has a 3 cylinder engine which is basically a copy of the Saab 92 engine.
Thatcopying or stealing used to be done a LOT.

My parents bought one of the first Toyota Coronas to come to Europe.
While we were on vacation in France, the car broke down.
We had it towed to a small french auto mechanic shop.
The mechanics looked at the car and made the special french shrug ( very expressive!), sorry, they did not know this car.
Then one guy opened the hood and said:" ahhh......Opel!!
The engine was copied from an Opel Record.
No problem for the french mecanics to fix an Opel, so we were soon back on the road again.
The next car my folks bought were a russian Lada 1500....................Exact copy of a Fiat. Engine, chassis, everything.
Only difference was, everything was written in Cyrillic letters.

Often times when a car model crosses border lines the name changes .

Even within you can't tell what's what .Case in point,Ford and Mazda .One in the same ,more or less . There are citizens of this country that will not buy a US auto for love nor money but will buy Japanese even if it costs more .They buy a Mazda most times it's a Ford with a different body on it .Ha :lol:

Opal on the other hand has been GM for years ,I assume it still is .

Back