Be safe reminder thread

Paul B

I dig hammocks.
Got an alert in the mail today from the provincial workers comp organization, here is a scan of the document. Work safe folks.

Attachments

• Scan10026.JPG
    Scan10026.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 23
Damn, that guy got off lucky. Fractured ankle could've been a whole lot worse.

Like most on here I'm working with a chipper which definetly could suck a guy right through. You're dealing with death down that chute, I'm always careful but a reminder like this is a good heads up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
at least he didnt tell them he 'fell' into the chipper.

On the bottom of that document it say watch the slide show of a fatel accident involving chipper.
Can you get a link to that Paul ?

Got to admit that I have in the way past used my feet to push/force/bend brush into the chipper fortunatly without consequences. But the more I think of all the chipping and chippers I have owned It is the Bandit Disc chipper that comes first to mind. It's low feed chute made it very easy to think about kicking the brush.
Can't remember using my foot on other models? Is it just me that thinks this way

I wonder how many chipper deaths have happened while two people (or more) were running the machine--I bet very very few chipper deaths happen with 2 or more operators.

Stating the obvious here: I'm kind of thinking, that young kid may have panicked the whole way through if it weren't for his buddy being there to push the control bar in reverse.

I saw a video of this guy chipping in a shopping mall and was pulled through.
It just went zzz and red stuff blew out the other end

When it comes to chipping dead wood I kick a lot of it, but never ever stick my feet "inside" the chute. That's dumbstupid. If it's inside the chute I use a branch, or stick, to shove it in.

It's easy to put a label on things one shouldn't do. "Never one-hand a saw" "Never kick brush into the chipper" "Never drop-start a chainsaw" "Never walk with your spurs on" Oh, there's more. My point is "How it's done" Not that it's done at all.

"Never kick stuff into a chipper" immediately invokes a vision of "foot in chute and being pulled in" But outside of the chute? Deadwood kicks up and flies around a lot when it hits the rollers or the blades of a drum chipper. And I've been wacked by it pretty severely. Just short of broken bones.

Whether by feeding by hand or kicking it in by foot, either method should only be done "outside the chute."

I was working at the ski area (same as the fighting racoons) a 19 year old kid and I were RE-CUTTING a pungy-stump area when he knicked the armor on a 3- phase 30-300 watt secondary that was energized at the time ... he would have been killed instantly with one more revolution ... he is still pretty shook up !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Poking around the WCB site (we have a tree company on site doing some trimming at my condo building and I am looking in to if they are covered or not ;) ) and I found the recent accidents list:
Injury Type : Minor injuries (non-worker)
Core Activity : Tree services
ID Number : 2008145130350
Date of Incident : 2008-Oct

A 140-foot-tall Douglas fir tree was felled into a parking lot. It landed on a vehicle passing by through the fall zone. The lone occupant of the vehicle was not seriously injured. Access to the parking lot was not secured at the exit driveway, nor was the fall zone barricaded or marked with flagging.

#2 (and #3)
Injury Type : Fatal
Core Activity : Manual falling and bucking
ID Number : 2008161740287

A faller was struck by the top of a hemlock danger tree that broke off its stem. The piece that struck the worker was 38 feet long. The danger tree was 91 feet tall and was located 45 feet inside standing timber above the faller.
Read an investigation report about an incident in which a faller was fatally injured by a piece that broke off the tree being felled:
http://www2.worksafebc.com/Topics/AccidentInvestigations/IR-PrimaryResources.asp?ReportID=34625
-- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Injury Type : Broken bones
Core Activity : Manual tree falling
ID Number : 2008158920221

A faller felled a large cedar tree (trunk 55 inches in diameter) into standing timber on the low side of a right-of-way. The tree struck another cedar tree, which tore a 70-foot-high green schoolmarm off the falling tree and sent it uphill. The schoolmarm struck the faller on the escape trail (uphill and to the side of the stump).

Injury Type : Concussion, laceration
Core Activity : Tree pruning
ID Number : 2008158910185
Date of Incident : 2008-Sep

While pruning a fruit tree, a worker fell from a stepladder to grade (about 8 feet).

Back