Anyone need a chip truck??

• Thread starter Jonseredbred
  • Start date
  • Replies 61
  • Views 6K
J

Jonseredbred

I am (again) selling some stuff to make room.

This is a real nice 1982 International with a 345 gas V8 and auto transmission w/ 2 spd rear end.

It has 54,000 original miles. NO CDL

Good 9.00 x 20 radial tires.

Arbortech chip body and a heavy duty scissors hoist. Pintle hook, brake controller.

Its a very dependable and cost effective truck. Short turning radius I can get this truck in some places a pick up won't.

$5500.00 or BO

Attachments

• 0924071443.jpg
    0924071443.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 271
  • 0924071444.jpg
    0924071444.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 270
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yup, but it also comes with a bigger price tag.

I need the box and the hydraulics. Are they in good shape? How about rust in the corners and floor? What size box is it?

Box is in excellent shape, no rust at all. It is (I think) 11' long.

Didn't you just sell a chip truck??

No, but I bought a flatbed that needs a dump box. Where are you?

In New York, and I want the chip box off of that Ford you have.

Why? Its rusted through in the corners and kinda beat up in the front top, and a little on the sides.

What thread where those pic's in??

Here ya go:

Attachments

• HPIM0611.JPG
    HPIM0611.JPG
    233 KB · Views: 16
  • HPIM0612.JPG
    HPIM0612.JPG
    225.4 KB · Views: 16
  • HPIM0613.JPG
    HPIM0613.JPG
    181.8 KB · Views: 18
  • HPIM0614.JPG
    HPIM0614.JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 18
PM what you want for that body & boxes

ill vouch for those trucks, they haul heavy, turn tight and rarely break down. driveline brakes suck though

Driveline parking brake right??

yeah, thats the big downside to no air brakes. You can usually get away with turning the end of the handle to adjust them, someone was thinkin' when they designed that part.

My chip truck has the PITA drive line parking/service brake.

The main downside is it's electric/hydro, not a lever to pull. It needs to be overhauled/replaced, but finding parts for it (or finding parts to make it a manual activated brake) has proved difficult.

I have thought about measuring the thickness of the rear rotors and see if a 76-78 El Dorado's caliper would fit over it. Get some 14 bolt weld on caliper brackets, and presto, I've got a parking brake at each rear wheel.

I also thought about adding manual line locks on both axles, but that wouldn't pass inspection in some/most states (MS doesn't care).

I've also thought about adding an aftermarket driveline brake, either in the current location, or at the pinion.

I have thought about measuring the thickness of the rear rotors and see if a 76-78 El Dorado's caliper would fit over it. Get some 14 bolt weld on caliper brackets, and presto, I've got a parking brake at each rear wheel.
I missed this the first time through . A late 70's Lincoln also had a cam operated rear disc brake parking brake .

Another option is a "Micro brake " controller used on bucket and line trucks .Basically an electrically operated line lock that holds even with the engine stopped ,all 4 brakes too .

Edit: those brake contollers are Mico -not micro ,sorry

I've scratched my head a time or two about how good those driveline parking brakes are. One of my trucks is a 76 Loadstar 1800 with a 16 foot chip body on her. The brake is tight as ever but I cant help but toss a chock under the tire now and again. That old binder is a rockin truck though. old as ever but has 44,000 miles on it. It pulls 18 yards of chips with a chipper on it just fine for a 404 motor.

Al, holy sheep chit those are expensive!

I was thinking a pair of manual line locks, one to lock each axle.

Tucker, drum brakes are better for parking than disc brakes. The static shear load they can withstand is far greater than a disc brake. Discs are better for bringing the vehicle to a stop.

On the drive line the service brake takes advantage of the axle's mechanical advantage, multiplying it's shear resistance by that number and a little more.

Kids these days. They've got so much energy. Another decade and it would have just been "Drum brakes are better than discs".:P

:D

Depends on the application.

For a given surface area of the drum or disc, and a given technology (composition of the friction surfaces) a drum will never be as good as a disc for stopping and a disc will never be as good for keeping it from rotating.

Back