No face?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 30 100.0%

• Total voters

MasterBlaster

Administrator Emeritus
Today I watched a guy pull a bad leaning pine with just a backcut, no underbed whatsoever. He used a chain to control the barberchair, which it definitely did. The pine was 90 feet with a DBH of 20 inches, and it was pulled with a tractor. It went over, slowly and perfectly. I was suprised.

Any of ya'll use this technique?

I think he was acting very stupidly. Sooner or later, he'll pay.

He got lucky.

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. Sounds like he's using up all his luck though, one day it will catch up with him.

Just because it works most of the time doesn't make it a good (or even valid) method.

Never have seen it done on a decent sized tree.

Did he continue cutting as the tree was being pulled, or just cut so far then stop, then the tractor gave it a yank?

Seems like if you continued cutting deeper when pulling, the small ledge wouldn't be so much of a problem. Good coordination between cut and pull required.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I forgot to say he used the same technique to pull over two other leaning trees, before that one.

His reasoning was it was okay because he was using the chain to control the barberchair, which I gotta say did it perfectly.

Gee, and all this time I've been just using proper cutting technique to control barberchair.

Silly me.

Did he continue cutting as the tree was being pulled, or just cut so far then stop, then the tractor gave it a yank?

Seems like if you continued cutting deeper when pulling, the ledge wouldn't be so much of a problem. Good balance between cut and pull required.

What "ledge?" And yes, he kept cutting the entire time.

Why bother? Why not just use a proper face cut and not put yourself in a situation where the tree's gonna barberchair? I'm voting no on the no face cut method. Using that method his pull line is the only thing that is steering the tree with any effectiveness. With a pull line and proper face now you've got precision steering of the tree.

Gee, and all this time I've been just using proper cutting technique to control barberchair.

Silly me.

When the tree was on the ground, it was still attached to the stump, where the face would been. I gotta say, I watched him do it successfully three times this morning.

If you want to keep the tree at the stump, chain the tree to the stump after putting in your proper face cut would be a more reliable method imo.

Three times, makes no matter imo a machine could pull or push trees over all day without face cuts. That's how we log here for landclearing for fields, a big excavator pushes the trees over and they always go where the operator wants with no cuts at all. I've done it before but I was the sorry sap bucking the rootwads off the pushed over trees, talk about filing alot.

Keeping the tree at the stump wasn't the goal, I was just trying to paint a picture for you.

Ha, I can't help but see a ledge even when there isn't one.

A front hinge, it's a new concept I think.

I voted no. I don't personally see a reason to skip a quick face cut. Were there any targets in or near the lay?

Dave

I can only say I have done this on one pine. The top 30 feet had been destroyed by beetles. It was live and healthy below that 30 feet. Had to be rigged and I didn't want to take a chance on anything. So I cut about 3/4 of the stem dia. Made a small kerf to keep from tearing into the rigging.
Hit the deck and winched it over. Worked good, a little closer to a snap cut when the peel hit the small kerf.

Never on a whole tree unless it was a sapling.

Small tree's sure (less than 6"). I can say I don't bother putting faces in when blocking down wood onto to rigging, thats about it.

"match cutting" as i've seen it is a practice for fellers in a hurry that don't care if the tree goes astray. he got lucky it happens but not everyday

Back