Cottonwood speedlining video

rbtree

Climbing Up
This double trunked 105 footer was over a native Indian retreat house in Medina, just a mile or so from that retiree Billy Gates' modest spread.....Zero drop zone. A fence and a row of cypress under as well. Then a driveway area leading to two more good customer's homes, lined with some nice trees. That drop zone was 20-25 feet wide. Meant everything but a few twigs had to be speedlined. Lower limbs had to be swung and lifted, utilizing a high speedline tie off, the limbs tied out a ways, and a bight in the line, which allows the load to be lifted and/or swung around. GRCS was used on a few limbs to assist, if I recall. Mostly the portawrap was all that was needed for the control/lowering line. We tensioned the zipline with the chipper winch, after the upper limbs were cut, and during for those that needing swinging/lifting. We had our old PW 1 as the interface. On some zips, you can see that the PW was too far away from the chipper, which meant the slung limbs came up against it, which threw a minor monkey wrench in our fluidity.
(Our 9/16th double braid full static no stretch line is the cat's meow for these applications)
I got no photos the second day, when we finished brushing the trees and craned the logs.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/29EB8MZ0hhk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/29EB8MZ0hhk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29EB8MZ0hhk

Smooth, the filming from the tree is the best bit, you can see what's going on with the speed line and lowering line.

Get a helmet cam Roger:)

Excellent video.

And you know I won't razz you for one-handing the saw. ;)

I'm gonna sound like an a$$ saying this, but here goes anyway. If you're bringing in a crane to do the big wood, why waste all that time and energy speedlining the brush? Why not just do the whole tree with the crane? It looks like you had decent access. :?

Anyway, just thought I'd ask, I'm sure there's a good reason.

Cool video though. 8)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I see your still employing the compromised line....;)
Drella, drella, Drella!!! One, that was last fall, and two, that rope ain't compromised. That's DS Comp...spectra core poking out...prolly still good for 15,000 pounds...and nothing was over 200 on that li'l tree....

I'm gonna sound like an a$$ saying this, but here goes anyway. If you're bringing in a crane to do the big wood, why waste all that time and energy speedlining the brush? Why not just do the whole tree with the crane? It looks like you had decent access. :?

Anyway, just thought I'd ask, I'm sure there's a good reason.

Cool video though. 8)

Nah, you're not an asz......

Reasons:

One:
why pay the crane guy when the tree's easy?....more $ for us. It was relatively easy, for a crack crew like us idyats......

Two:
The drop zone/LZ was limited, and narrow. With that tree, Mike would have had to be craning individual limbs, or tip tying a few at a time....not practical--too slow.

I have a cottonwood job coming up, I hope, where we will crane 70-80 percent of the brush. slightly older and larger trees, with poor structure, and heavier spreading limbs, and some breakouts......But only about 95-100 feet tall, so Mike should be able to reach the tops with his 23 tonner with 102 feet of total reach.

Smooth, the filming from the tree is the best bit, you can see what's going on with the speed line and lowering line.

Get a helmet cam Roger:)

You got that right, bro.....been looking into them. Haven't found much that suits me, save the current best unit, the $700 POV1......

would like to find something around $300 that is wide angle, shoots high quality if not HD, and can be either stand alone or plug into a camcorder...

One of which is also on my radar, the Canon HF100, which records in HD to SDHC mem cards, the future for camcorders for sure, as 16 gb hi speed cards can now be had for $70 or so! Those will also be cool, when I'm rich and get a 21 mp $7500 Canon 1DS Mark lll to go with my 8 mp 1D Mark ll....

Back