One long tail!!

rangerdanger

TreeHouser
Thought this was funny. We ordered a 6ft Single Eye tail last week from Karl Kuemmmerling, and it arrived today. But when I looked at it and held it up, this thing was more like 8 ft!! We thought it was more like a mini lanyard than a tail. We're just going to cut a foot or two off it for now, but man, thing thing was huge!!

A mini lanyard?

Most of my lanyards are about 6 footish.

Wow, KK huh. That was the first place I went to shop for gear. It was about an hour drive from my home back then. I didn't know they were still around..

Maybe it just stretched from that Florida heat... :?

Orrr, maybe you're not quite as tall as you thought you were... :/: :)

My current lanyard is 15 ft., next one I make will be 20 or 22 ft.
I am a strong proponent of having long lanyards. Very useful as a short climbing line in many situations as many of our trees are often times wider than they are tall. Not unusual to have a 50 ft. tall tree with a canopy 100 ft. wide.

sounds kind of generous of Karl K. to send a lanyard instead of a split tail. Easy to cut down. sure would not complain about that, Ranger Danger.

-Note: if you are using a long lanyard, dont mistake it for the climbing line like my buddy did. He popped off the end of it and shattered both ankles. He forgot to tie a stopper knot.

I think my grillion came at 9', it has a stopper knot in it, thanks for the reminderator Frans :)

I think my lanyard that stays on my saddle 90% of the time is over 25'.

When I first started using it I about chucked it. I would step on it & it would role under my boot while in a tree. Causing a quick sphincter pucker moment. But I stayed with it & now wouldnt fly with a short one

My safety is a different color than any of my clime lines.

I would also give a warning or something to be aware of. A stopper knot in the end of a long lanyard can get caught on limbs after they are cut & fall. Dont do it as a rule myself unless I am getting close to the end. Then I tie a quick figure 8.

One needs to be vigilant in tending & being aware of their lines

Back