Merit for Insects

NickfromWI

King of Splices
I will be applying some Merit (imidicloprid) to some local infested trees. I am trying to determine application rates so I know how much to buy so I know how much to bill for.

I got this chart from the local Bayer Advanced rep

The black text below were the rep's notes. What I can't figure out is this: The column on the left shows "Selected application rate." He highlighted the first choice which is what you would use if you wanted to give 1 pint of merit solution per inch DBH.

How does one determine if you should be giving 1 pint, 1 quart, or 1 gallon or more? The chart is very informative, except for that one, crucial piece.

Have you used this before?

I've emailed him already and will let you know the response.

love
nick

I will be treating a row of 6 trees that add up to a total of 44" DBH. So I would need 44 pints (5.5 gallons) total solution. If 2 ounces would yield 3.75 gallons solution, then it seems 3 ounces should get me just over 5.5 gallons and thus would be enough...assuming I was trying to add 1 pint per inch DBH. I need 3 ounces of snake oil...I mean Merit!!!

Sound right?

love
nick

Attachments

• merit.PNG
    merit.PNG
    345.7 KB · Views: 8
Yeah, the app rate is confusing as hell. Did you ever hear back from the rep ?
It seems like the app rate would correlate directly with what it is your treating & the severity of the infestation ??? Merit ain't snake oil if you're killing bugs ; it's the big guns & should be a last resort IMO.
What are you treating ? What kind of trees ? A soil drench will only work at certain times (ie.: treating for borers is useless after a certain stage of development).
I've used Merit, and it works. This is probably a 'no-no', but I tell some customers to use Grub Ex (contains a low dose imidicloprid) at the base of shrubs that have a heavy infestation of aphids. Merit goes systemic, the aphids (suckers) feed, and "Voila!" I'm trying to be more careful of throwing chemistry at insects & I do complete evaluations to address any / all problems.

Back