Dynamic Cabling 2008

NickfromWI

King of Splices
I am about to install a few sets of dynamic cables.

Case 1: About 10 cables in a huge acacia (I don't remember what kind). We are using Yale's Guardian...mostly because of the placement of the tree, we wanted a camouflaged system and I could get custom colors (the tree is a bright almost neon green!)

Case 2: A tall Eucalyptus citriadora in my neighbor's yard. The tree drives me nuts. I keep thinking it's gonna split. The top of one of the leads has already broken in it. I'm using the Guardian again here.

Case 3: A client had a huge Euc split open. Classic example- codom stems at ground level with included bark about 4' high down to the ground. They are concerned about the other trees now, as they should be. Three other trees in the vicinity are in the same shape! I'm thinking about going with Cobra or TreeSave on this one.

What's on the market now? Are those the 3 only options: Cobra, TreeSave, and Guardian? Who makes Cobra and why don't they have a website? Does anyone besides sherrill sell cobra in the US?

love
nick

Dynamic is a poor fit (typically) for an already busted crotch.

I've only used Cobra.

For trees that are bound to split and the risk is fairly high, I've installed 3/4" Stable Braid below the cables to act as a fail safe. I've left the homeowners to keep an eye on the green rope, if they are tight call me ASAP.

ive only used cobra and steel. ive had trouble getting cobra info also, its german i think. had a customer ask abou a guarentee a year or so ago so i called sherrill. it took them a week to get back to me but basicly they claim its good for 9 years and guarentee 2. they didnt say what the guarentee is though :dur:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
LJ- I think I should clarify a bit. My first post was a bit misleading.

For Case 2, the top 20 of the 60' tree had come out of one of the leads. These are realllly spindly trees, so it wasn't that much wood. The union still looks really good. I want to support the tree in those high winds, but allow it to move freely on most days.

On Case 3, half the tree is totally gone now. They want to save what's left (which still has a really good trunk) by cabling the weak unions up top.

Thanks for the link ,Tom!

love
nick

I can't find the Yale product. Anyone have info on that?

...and how do you folks price cabling jobs?

TS

I take all the costs of the supplies, double it, then add my time on that.

The only place I've found info on Yale guardian is via Fresco, and their website is in the works right now. If you call them, they can fax you the instructions, though.

love
nick

For trees that are bound to split and the risk is fairly high, I've installed 3/4" Stable Braid below the cables to act as a fail safe. I've left the homeowners to keep an eye on the green rope, if they are tight call me ASAP.

You don't trust the Cobra? I would not install a system that I didn't trust. Why bother? :?

I install the failsafe on trees that are bound to split. Cobra buys them time and the failsafe catches the big bits when it falls apart.

The last one I "failsafed" was a cluster of 4 pecans growing from the same "stump" (seperate trees, as they grow they get pushed apart more and more). The guy is a friend of mine, but he really hates cutting trees. He decided to build a 60x90 barn under the tree, against my advice. So, I put in a Cobra cable to help reduce the wind strain at the base and installed the 3/4" to catch the bits when they do finally break.

Picture a blooming onion.

Carl, wouldn't steel cable and rods be a better choice? I really don't know, I'm asking.

TS

I install the failsafe on trees that are bound to split. Cobra buys them time and the failsafe catches the big bits when it falls apart.

The last one I "failsafed" was a cluster of 4 pecans growing from the same "stump" (seperate trees, as they grow they get pushed apart more and more). The guy is a friend of mine, but he really hates cutting trees. He decided to build a 60x90 barn under the tree, against my advice. So, I put in a Cobra cable to help reduce the wind strain at the base and installed the 3/4" to catch the bits when they do finally break.

Picture a blooming onion.

I must be a little slow today. Am I missing something? Why bother with the Cobra if you KNOW it's going to fail? Why not just use the 3/4" and save yourself time and money? I don't understand.

Tom, steel might be better but the tension will grow as time goes on (as opposed to dynamic giving a bit) getting to the point where something gives. Through bolts would be an option if they werent' so far apart.

I installed the cable to help prevent the trees falling apart in wind. Eventually if nothing else gets the trees, then their diameter will push them apart far enough for them to fail. The Cobra alliviates the wind somewhat, and the 3/4" is there to catch it if it eventually fails, or if winds exceed the Cobra's strength and the tree and that system fails. Hopefully the 3/4" will keep that portion of pecan off his motorhome, Denali, and Corvette, which is what will be under it.

Not to rag on you Carl but Cobra IS a failsafe....though Guardian may be a better choice if the loads are really large. The whole idea of dynamic is to PREVENT failure by providing support where it is advantageously leveraged-A few hundred pounds of support far from the pivot is a huge safety. Furthermore, most tree parts will weigh less than breaking strength and shock loading will be minimal. If your dynamic ain'tstrong enough, install more or cut the blessed thing down!

No ragging recieved.

We've had quite a few hellish storms since 98, my idea was the Cobra would be dandy in normal storms. When wind breaks 3 digits chit starts moving pretty good, and I figure the 3/4" set lower in the tree certainly can't hurt anything.

It's been the only tree I've done such as that. The other trees I've cabled have all made it through the various storms over the years, but they weren't as bad off as that particular tree.

The last noteworthy storm we had was January 10th, hit a rural area, a few trailers, and one of the county schools. Noone died, but quite a few head of cattle and something like 40-50 vehicles were totalled at the highschool.

Check out the bus on the roof 36 seconds in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kiz_U2sfEfg

A simple question. Cobra is black. Cheap, black, poly. Black absorbs all the available light, thats why it is black, right? So how in the shit can it have any sort of resistance to UV damage? I've seen many Cobra systems fail out here, all seemed properly installed, just the rope had rotted out well inside of 9-10 years, more like 3-4.

It's supposed to be inspected every three years at a minimum. Like you say, it's just black poly but I think it contains UV stabilizers... I can't remember where I read that but when I see poly rope like that I automatically think about UV degradation.

I wouldn't go trying to hold a couple of 20" stems together with it but it's perfect for secondary leaders with included bark that can't be reduced much.

I've never used it for supporting damaged trees, only for restricting movement on healthy trees with included bark... and there was that one rope swing backup.

I've seen a lot of steel failures. I think if you install Cobra the same way you would install steel, that is under high tension, it's likely to fail sooner. Cobra is supposed to let the tree move and build reaction wood. The poly gives a little bit but you have to use the rubber thingies to get adequate shock absorption.

I'm trying to inspect the ones I've installed annually.

+1 for allowing movement.

I also installed one system to support a tire swing that was on a dog legged leader with included bark.

Dave, Technologies change so white and colored UV stabilised rope isn't out of the question but for many years the highest UV stabilization has only been available in black poly propylene and polyethylene. I know-It is counter intuitive since black absorbs the whole spectrum but thta is haw it works.

I am putting together a bid right now and I am putting in the invoice the cost for the first 3 check ups. One six months later, then yearly after that.

love
nick

Dave, Technologies change so white and colored UV stabilised rope isn't out of the question but for many years the highest UV stabilization has only been available in black poly propylene and polyethylene. I know-It is counter intuitive since black absorbs the whole spectrum but thta is haw it works.

Really? Well I would never have thought that.

Back