MCA

• Thread starter xtremetrees
  • Start date
  • Replies 4
  • Views 2K
X

xtremetrees

http://www.massarbor.org/certification/index.html

I see a few of you folks around and was wondering just how old this program is and what exactly is covered (what domains)? Is this a reprint of the WTSherril Arb Cert. guide?
This is the first I've seen a state certified program if that what this is?

Reading the pdf it seems the MCA spawned from landscaping/nursery conventions in the 90's?
How does http://www.shanleyfleming.com/ fit in?
I see yall have alot of tree folks on your site. Here in Georgia we just got a site up and running. But it is already infested with so called arborist fat boys running bucket trucks (nothing against machinery). I think the GAA is only about 10 yrs old. I think www.treeclimbing.com is older than the GAA. Which Mr Jenkins is our leader, only about 300 of my post to his forum got squashed years ago. He seems to have ironed it out now and the forums are aging. Anyways.....
Did this take about 10 years in the making?

Last edited:
The MCA exam is from the 50's. Its the oldest state tree association, and one of the oldest state tree exams. It covers twelve "domains" very intensely. Unlike the ISA money pit test, we have a 20 tree species, 10 insect and 10 disease ID. The trees have to be BOTH Latin and Scientific, and all 3 of these ID sections are NON multiple choice.......fill in the blank. There is also a 15 question essay involved with this exam, taken writen or orally. The rest of the test is composed of 200 or so multiple choice and true false questions covering everyhting from planting, climbing, pruning, fert, insect and disease, etc etc. It is a VERY daunting test!

This test has been almost 80 years in the making. I forget the exact date but I believe it was in the 30's sometime that the state run arborist association was around. We celebrated the 50th anniversary of the MCA program last year!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks so much Boston. I have started a thread at out GAA presidents website and email our admin here in Georgia.
I would like for Georgia to be the second state in the union to have such a prestigious accrediation. This will take us many years I suppose. My hats off to ya'll for the vision !

Thanks so much Boston. I have started a thread at out GAA presidents website and email our admin here in Georgia.
I would like for Georgia to be the second state in the union to have such a prestigious accrediation. This will take us many years I suppose. My hats off to ya'll for the vision !

Thanks ill pass the word on.

I am sure OTG will weigh in when he gets back as well.

Back