The Magic Number

brendonv

Tree Hugger
This might be a dumb thread, but whatever. Is there a magic number to bidding tree work? I was reading Squish's thread and someone said, along these lines "you didn't bid just a flat $8,000 did you?". I think they were referring to, it should be something like $8,175.

Is there a magic number, or sequence you have noticed people are more willing to bite at? I mean, $2975 sounds a hell of a lot better than $3000.

Just bored on a Saturday night.:D

$1,954 my birth year seems like the right price.

My bids were always in $5 increments, sometimes in $25. How many services are billed in smaller increments anyway?

There is a bit of psychololgy that works on many of us but not all. $485 sounds less than $500 (it is less of course but only 3%). On the other hand $415 will seldom stop a sale trhat would have sold at $400. $765 will fly about as readily as $750 but will seal a deal easier than $780. There is never a good reason to end on a zero.- Add or subtract 5. Oddly a bid that ends on an even hundred can be off putting with some people-if you drop it $5 most people will mentally round up anyway....and some conclude that if you woulld drop it five to "sound better" you ought to dicker down $50. On the other hand if you boost it to $415 then people are less likely to think you pulled it out of the air and if they try to dicker it will be back to the $400. etc. etc.

BrendonV, their is a magic number.

Just look at major advertisers.

.99 cents is the golden magic number.

Do with it what you will....

There is a bit of psychololgy that works on many of us but not all. $485 sounds less than $500 (it is less of course but only 3%). On the other hand $415 will seldom stop a sale trhat would have sold at $400. $765 will fly about as readily as $750 but will seal a deal easier than $780. There is never a good reason to end on a zero.- Add or subtract 5. Oddly a bid that ends on an even hundred can be off putting with some people-if you drop it $5 most people will mentally round up anyway....and some conclude that if you woulld drop it five to "sound better" you ought to dicker down $50. On the other hand if you boost it to $415 then people are less likely to think you pulled it out of the air and if they try to dicker it will be back to the $400. etc. etc.
----------------------------------------------

Ya know Justin, this actually makes sense! :tongue3:

HC

i go by 25 dollar increments up to 1000 bucks, then its usually 50, with the occasional screwball thrown in.
that does make sence justin, you may have figured out how my fuel surcharge will be snuck in on the bids:D

I do 15 dollar increments up to $500, $25 up to $1,000, $50 above that.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ELoBopdD-_I&hl=en&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ELoBopdD-_I&hl=en&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Do you guys quote with sales tax included? Thats seems to be a stumbling block for some, especially since the pole saw bandits dont charge it etc. I normally get confirmation on my bid and then tell them plus tax.

250 is my magic number for little stuff, plus tax of course. I like 795 too.

I always mention plus tax when giving the bid not after, for my work here it's 5%. I try to determine from the initial phone call if there'll be people who aren't properly insured (liability and compo)bidding on the work and if there are I pass.

Oddly, here in Taxachusetts there is no tax on either tree work, or firewood.

I always bid based on estimated time on site multiplied by the hourly rate for the crew needed. a 5 hour removal with a two man crew using the bucket and chipper = Bid. Toss in a flat fee for the travel. If using a crane, etc.. add that in.

In consulting work $125 for the first hour, and $55 an hour after that, rounded up to the nearest half hour.

I think they would like to here but it is probably too hard to collect, so we are getting by with that one.

Back