I (Think/Hope) I Developed A New Hitch Design

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here is my latest videos published to my channel for a new slipped hitch that myself and another YouTuber conceptualized and then came up with a few possible applications for it. It can be used as a loop knot, but it works better as a hitch since it gets weakened a bit by ring loading.

I decided to name it the MIRAGE hitch because, much like a mirage, first you see it and then, once you pull the tail, it disappears as if it were never there, making untying it a breeze. It is basically just a girth hitch, with the working end wrapped around or through an object/piece of hardware, and then, after forming a bight with it, that bight is slipped through the girth hitch. I looked everywhere for this knot online and in a few books before I determined that it very well may be a new knot. So, until proven otherwise, myself and another climbing YouTuber will be taking credit for it.

Short form:

Long form:

Thanks to anyone who took the time to check it out! =-D

I haven't posted this yet (I will in a few days), but it's my video all about my solution for the Rope Runner (Pro) vulnerability, where it cannot be used in either a 2:1 or 3:1 configuration without the risk of it potentially collapsing, causing a climber to either lose briefly lose control or to lose control completely and plummet to the ground.

Here is the description for the video, which basically says everything that needs to be said, along with all of the disclaimers in the video itself...

"DISCLAIMER: This video discusses a completely new method for using the Rope Runner/Rope Runner Pro which has been tested thoroughly by only one, single person (that would be me, Knotorious). Therefore, if you decide to take my advice and attempt to use this system on your own, you knowingly and wittingly accept all risk and responsibility for your actions. Using completely new climbing systems, regardless of how confident I may be, poses inherent dangers.

I want the world of tree climbing to gain awareness of my new technique. But I also want everyone to be as safe as possible. I chose to post this video because YouTube, even in the realm of arboriculture, should be a place were anyone can feel free to propose new ideas and concepts; even if they aren't 100% certain that their ideas are entirely safe.

Having said that, I am certifiably close to 99% certain that I have come up with a solution for the Rope Runner (Pro)'s vulnerability regarding its potential for collapsing when placed in a standard (theoretical) 3:1 mechanical advantage configuration for limb walking. You, the viewer, must make your own assessment. I am NOT recommending this system to ANYONE. I am merely, excitedly, disseminating my novel idea across the internet via my YouTube channel. Start low and slow. Don't climb alone. Have backup plans. Stay safe.
~Love, Knotorious

In this episode, I will introduce, explain, and demonstrate a completely new method for climbing with a Rope Runner/Rope Runner Pro, which -- based on my testing and knowledge/understanding of the devices, hardware and physics involved -- should be completely safe for use at height.

The manufacturer of the Rope Runner Pro (Notch Equipment) states explicitly in their instruction manual that the device should never be placed in a 2:1 (which can occur when a climber performs a natural redirect, without pulling the tail of their rope over first, which causes the potential for the device to collapse and stay collapsed, causing a climber to plummet to the ground) or a 3:1 theoretical mechanical advantage system.

This means that the Rope Runner cannot be used as part of a mechanical advantage system on a limb walk, which are almost exclusively formed by building a 3:1 system. It also means that the Rope Runner cannot be used with many of the retrievable redirects out there which require that the climber descend with their device in a 3:1 formation. As far as I'm concerned, these two elements may constitute the ONLY downside that the Rope Runner (Pro) possesses. Everything about this device is incredibly amazing and nothing short of perfection.

Bothered by this, I decided I would think about this vulnerability of the Rope Runner's and that I would attempt to come up with a solution, so that Rope Runner owners could use their devices in these two aforementioned, previously impossible ways. And I firmly believe that I have been successful in doing so.

PLEASE watch this video! It will answer any and all questions that you might have about everything I have said thus far!" - End of Description

Last edited:
Let me be explicitly clear: when I post a video onto this thread or when I talk about my YouTubing, it is in NO WAY meant to be my attempt at telling anyone on this forum what to do; espeically since the majority of you are far more experienced than I am at the moment. I am not egocentric and in fact, quite the contrary; I suffer from debilitatingly low self-esteem.

So all of you who want to claim that I post my videos on here for attention, as if I believe I am somehow better than more experienced climbers on here, as if I don't understand that production climbing and rec climbing are two different worlds...those people can go kick rocks and find someone else to make assumptions about. You barely know me and yet you're confident in telling me how I feel and what my motivations are? Get lost with that nonsense.

There appears to be a lot of hate surrounding myself and my desire to share my content with this forum, but -- make no mistake -- I post my content here not for those who are official members, but for those who are less experienced guests (AKA those who make up the majority of views on this forum), who are perhaps searching for a YouTube channel with educational content which might help them with become better climbers and to learn about tree climbing techniques and methods.

For those members out there who criticize my YouTubing: stop thinking it's all about you. Talk about egocentric. It has nothing to do with you.

Last edited:
Back