How'd it go today?

Easy day at work today, drop a couple of little whip poles, then I helped the boss clean his yard. Gonna get off early, and go do laundry. Ash is driving down from showlow to hang out again, hopefully I'll get to bed at a decent hour. She's young and I feel like an old man trying to keep up. I can live with being tired, it's world changing to feel wanted.

Just being neighborly. He wants you go get some juicy worms too before they go underground for the day. I guess, optionally, you could raid the cat's bowl if you get up late. That's what the blue jays do.

I'd really like to know why some bird needs to set up outside my window and start squawking at first light every morning. I get it. You are a bird. You want to get that worm. But why do you have to tell me about it?
While that isn’t fun, I had a bird build a nest in the garage above one of my rigging and climbing gear shelves. The bird defecated on my gear! I went to glove up and move the nest and found babies. Crap! I tarped my gear when shelved and accepted that the rest of the garage was going to be susceptible to air raids. They just left about 2 weeks ago and I’m slowly cleaning everything up. I wouldn’t care and would share the garage if they were toilet trained.

I guess the problem with most solder joints with bigger wire is not getting the solder to the middle of the wire, so crimping is usually preferred. That said i solder most of my stuff, but am crimping curious :/:. I've soldered battery connections and welding ones and never had a problem myself, and the solder really locks on tight for welding lead and wont work loose in my experience, that's what i have on my stinger i use, but the tweco ends i use on the lead have a big allen screw to act as a mechanical joint. Solder is also easier to do without a crimp tool (which i don't own), so that's what I've used since i have the stuff needed on the welding rig or at work. I'll brush the lug or rough it with a file, emery the wire, fill them completely full with flux, and use a torch gently on the lug while it's held vertically like a cup so you basically pour it in. I also try to really take my time so the heat has time to work into the wire, heating and dabbing more flux for awhile until i think it's ready.

I've used plumbing solder and flux since that's what i have on hand, and I'll fill the entire assembly with solder. A wet rag will help with not melting the insulation too much, and ideally when you're done you can soak it in water and stir it and rub it a bit to remove the flux. Another cool trick for cleaning the copper before hand is to flux it and heat it, and then wipe it off with a rag, doing that a few times will really shine it up and remove the oxide layer. And of course tinning the wire beforehand is a really good idea too, so I've been doing that more lately which makes it much easier. When tinning the wire I'll fan it open so i get it all, and then gently heat and hammer the wire in a tight configuration so it'll fit in the lug. While I'm certain this isn't the correct way it's worked for me and it's cheap, but I'm pretty comfortable working with solder and a torch :lol:

I prefer solder to prevent corrosion and fill air gaps, but it's also good to crimp especially if you need to make sure the connection hangs on as long as possible in the case that the joint overheats. I hate low melting point insulators. Silicone rubber is great other than its lack of durability to cuts.

There were approximately 9,312 different arguments for, or against any process, including crimping, then soldering. :/: Pretty much, if you do any process correctly, you should be fine. Some people said their industry was crimp only (marine). Other said it was solder only (aerospace). I'm going properly crimped right now for ease and convenience. I do have the 16 ton hydraulic crimper, so if you use the right size dies, it's definitely crimped. The 3:1 adhesive shrink tubing is a bit of a game changer for keeping corrosion out, it would seem.

Back