Twin Disc PTO Clutch, SP211

lumberjack

Young man on the go
Mine let out the smoke today while trying to clear a jam. The clutch was disengaged when it happend, but it stalled the engine. The back plate behind the toothed disk is cracked (overheated) which I'm guessing caused the clutch pack to bind up. Holy jebus the smoke from it was/is awful.

It's looking like I need to replace the back plate and probably the fiber discs. Waiting on the parts list and service manual to get emailed to me so I can see what's what.

Anyone have experiance with Twin Disc PTOs?

46f56bdc.jpg

73f3dacb.jpg

What model is it?? I replaced the clutch on my Frankenchipper last year and the kit came with the whole asembly so maybe I have what you need. As you know I NEVER throw anything out:lol:

Sorry that thing let go, other than that has it treated you OK???

Doh, just looked at the title of the thread, SP211, sounds familiar. Ill go over to the shop and look..

Nope mines a Sp111, guess it wouldnt make sense for a 115 horse machine to have the same clutch as a 180. What do you mean by you were clearing a jam?? was the drum stopped up and you hit the PTO to try to spin it?? We always use a peavy for that, put it in a knife pocket and back it up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Heck I haven't ran a tank of fuel through the chipper yet, but I likely will on this current job (18 removals, chips stay on site). So far I've used it on 3 other jobs and here at the house. It's doing fine although I'm aiming to get the feed wheel cylinders back on tootsweet!

I ordered a 24" adjustable for the nut on reassembly, it's ~2.25" in diameter fwiw. I also ordered a new pilot bearing from Motion since I'm already going to be this deep. I've gotta use a puller the clutch assembly, the clutch back plate has threaded holes to facilitate its removal.

Given how much it smoked, I'm guessing the friction plates (part 6 in the diagram) will have to be replaced. The back plate (5) cracked, which I think started the lock up. Hopefully the center plate (7) and the front plate (8) will be alright. The back plate is ~$250, the friction plates are ~$50, and the center plate was ~$130 I think. I was supprised at how cheap the parts were.

I'll inspect the main bearings (26 and 31) for play, but I think they're alright.

The company I'm using for the friction componets is:

Palmer Johnson Power Systems
P 501.941.2676
F 501.941.2677
www.pjpower.com

Attachments

• sp211-1.pdf
    244.6 KB · Views: 17
  • sp211-2.pdf
    553.7 KB · Views: 11
  • sp211-3.pdf
    496.9 KB · Views: 9
That appears to be just a simple over center clutch except it has twin discs which in essence doubles the amount of friction surface as opposed to a single disc like used on the old Caterpillars .

On that type clutch I'm sure you are aware they must be set up where you get a definate "snap" when they engage .Too tight they won't break over center ,too loose they can slip .

I had one on my bean harvester and it went out one time. I think I was too busy to fix it and took it to a mechanic, so I didn't learn anything about it.

Yep, Al. I'm not entirely sure of the exact mode of failure, but safe to say I handled clearing a jam incorrectly. :lol:

Ordered the parts today from Wisconsin, they should be here Friday. The two driving/friction plates and the front (floating)/center/back plates individually cost $668.50. The clutch kit includes those parts as well as the sliding sleeve and collar (what engages the clutch and what connects it to the engagement lever) for $538.40. That's all the wear parts excluding the pilot and main bearings.

Part numbers:
Clutch kit: SP211C001 $538.40
Locking Washer: 2-07240 (replaces B1511E) $5.51
Nut: B1509B $21.54 (It was being stubborn so I cut it)
Shipping is roughly $40

Heavy industrial clutchs such as that are not a cheap item to repair .I don't remember exactly how much Tom had in his old Lindag but I'm thinking about $1100 a few years back .

I hope not, Justin. My first attempt at making a puller for the back plate failed (as expected), but it was quick and dirty. 2 holes in a piece of channel, bent the web.

I was supprised at how cheap the parts were. I paid list on the pilot bearing ($48 ) and wasn't particularly proud of that, however.

UPS ran today and alas my clutch parts weren't delievered. I called Debbie at PJ Power Systems and asked for a tracking number to see what was up. We looked it up and UPS said it was on time for a Monday delievery, it spent 36 hours in a IL terminal for whatever reason. Sooo we're overnighting another 67lbs of clutch parts with Saturday delievery to the tune of $360 in shipping charges + the $560 in parts.

When I refuse/return the parts that come Monday I'll get the money back for the parts as well as a full refund on the overnight shipping charges. I was a bit shocked that she volunteered to overnight the parts on PJ's dime.

If anyone needs powertrain parts, I'd recommend giving Debbie a call! She emailed me a parts diagram as well as the service manual for the clutch before I ordered the parts. I didn't do much price shopping, but their price on the back plate alone was a good 14% less than Motion's counter price (tax and shipping would have roughly equaled out).

Palmer Johnson Power Systems
P 501.941.2676
F 501.941.2677
www.pjpower.com

So loading the brush unchipped into the dump trailer is no longer feasible? For a while there you had no interest in getting a chipper.

Not trying to bust your balls or anything, glad you found a good company to step up and get the parts issue resolved quickly.

And they sell a wide aray of power transmission parts. For example, I can get axle parts for my Gehl through them (ZF axles).

So loading the brush unchipped into the dump trailer is no longer feasible? For a while there you had no interest in getting a chipper.

Not trying to bust your balls or anything, glad you found a good company to step up and get the parts issue resolved quickly.

Not when I have 18 trees to remove and anything through the chipper can stay where it sprays.;)8) Conversely, I've got a single pine on another job to remove next week that is getting hauled off as well as a gum on another job. The 18 tree job is my 4th job to use the chipper on in the 3 months I've owned it.

Got the old clutch pack off easily enough using a piece of channel and flat bar as a puller with all thread. Tightened the puller up until it started bending and gave the front plate of the clutch pack a couple taps with a 5' pry bar battering ram style. As I percieve it, it's all easy from here.

On that 18 tree job the average tree price is $305 w/o raking or stump cleanup. The air port job is another job I plan(ned) on using the chipper on. 34 trees with full cleanup at $720/tree. Economy pricing for sure but it's pretty easy with the right people and equipment. Not having the chipper on the current job would have raised the price by around 55%.

I spent about 10 years loading brush and taking it to the dump.
No way I'll ever go back to doing that.
Once you've owned a chipper, there is just no going back to loading unchipped stuff.

I see you and raise you one TP 160 diesel powered chipper:P

It's easy to go back to not chipping if you have machinery to handle the brush, but chipping sure beats piling it on by hand, especially on a non dumping hauler(49 months in before I had something that dumped).

Regarding my chipper, they overnighted the wrong clutch kit (SP111 instead of SP211). The packing list showed the right part so it's on the shipping department in Wisconsin. That's gotta get someone fired up Monday morning, luckily the wrong parts only weighed 50 lbs instead of 67 so they saved a bit on shipping, if you want to look at it like that. :lol:

Back